
Ha ha! This scene from Much Ado about Nothing KILLS us. SO great! This kid-like frolic in a water fountain is what a confirmed bachelor is reduced to after overhearing (from lying trickster matchmakers!) that the woman he loathes and continually fights with is actually in love with him. And when she overhears the same about him (from more lying trickster matchmakers), she melts just as bad. It's the best set-up ever! Made all the better by the great monologues about, "ew, I'll never fall in love!" and "I'm so excited to have just fallen in love!" Shakespeare is so great. :) (Especially when people know how to make him fun like he meant to be! :))
Kenneth Branagh's monologue always makes me think of my brother, Jordan. When he was only nine years old, I used to find him alone in the tv room watching movies you wouldn't expect a kid to enjoy. This was one of them—he watched it all the time! When Benedick gets all lovesick for Beatrice ("I may chance have some odd quirks and remnants of wit BROKEN on me because...I have railed so long against marriage...." hehe :)), he asks the question, "shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humor? NO! The world must be peopled!" Ha ha! Every time, Jordan would just start cracking up. It's a funny line, for sure—but made SO much funnier now that we always picture this cute little 9-year-old cracking up over it.
I couldn't find any reasonable soul online who made a clip of just this scene. But if you think, "hey, I'd like to spend 10 minutes watching the funniest set-up of all time!" start the first clip (you can skip the first minute), and by the end you'll feel like you just have to start the second clip and watch the first minute to finish the scene. :) If you like House, you'll enjoy seeing Robert Sean Leonard being so silly.... Hehe. A bunch of silly people in this one: Denzel Washington, Kate Beckinsale, Emma Thompson.... Great movie. :) GREAT scene! Number Three on our countdown!
2 comments:
SO cool about your brother moving this direction that would be fun if they lived on the same street. I am lame and lost the link to your "real blog" can you email it to me again. I know the tope secret info just forgot where I book marked the actual site.
I love that you are doing this top ten list - and I love how many of your favorites are among my favorites, and those that aren't I plan to buy so I can check it out myself. I just can't wait for your last two so I can add them to my shopping cart if I don't already have/love them.
Post a Comment