Thursday, October 16

Mispronounciations :)

Since I have occasionally pointed out mispronunciations that amuse me, I feel compelled to confess! I mispronounce words! Actually, the truthiest truth is that I avoid words altogether if I don't think I know how to pronounce them. (This was difficult in say, 4th grade, when we'd take turns in class reading out loud. I couldn't just skip words I didn't know! The result was not always pretty. I still remember "militia" and "Sean"—I had never seen that name in my life! Hehe.) Anyway, the following are words you will likely not hear me say. They run through my mind, but just before coming to my lips I put on the brakes and say something else instead—usually several inferior words instead of the one that could have sufficed. :) It's highly inefficient. But I just don't know how to pronounce them! And even if you tell me, I'll probably forget (I'm sure I've learned a dozen times each what's correct). I'm doomed to confusion forever....

homogenous
irrevocable (I like the British ir-REV-o-ca-ble. But is that how Americans say it, too? I just don't know!)
pragmatist
naivete (Is there any way to say this that isn't ridiculous?)
caprice
applicable (I lean towards ap-PLI-ca-ble, but I'm never sure about it :))
yuan 
electoral (is it e-LEC-toral or e-lec-TOR-al? I think it's the first, but I'm never quite sure. At least I don't say electorial....)
nuptial (is it two syllables? nup-shul? nup-she-ul?)

Hmmm.... I'm sure I have more!

No comments: