Monday, October 13

Because I'm Already Thinking about Thanksgiving!

Ode To The Turkey Breast
(in not-so-poetic bullet format :))

Oh, Turkey Breast, how do I love thee when it comes to making the obligatory turkey Thanksgiving meal? Let me count the ways you rock my world!

• You don't take up the entire oven for the entire day!
• In fact, you cook very quickly, and by so many methods. You can be broiled, baked, roasted.... You can even be...BARBECUED! [gasp of awe from the audience]
• You can be infused with flavor, turning out succulent and tasty. My favorite is to marinate you for a good long while in the fridge before cooking you. Mmmm...! Delicious! (SO much better than just basting a big ol' turkey all day.) A proven winner for you has been Matt's fajita marinade: olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, freshly-ground pepper, brown sugar, cloves, maybe some orange juice or zest or both, maybe some minced habaƱero.... Delicious. Though we might want to try this recipe next time. Cranberry-orange marinades are delicious as well! Probably a million different marinades are delicious—and you can take them all! You rock, Turkey Breast.
• You aren't full of superfluous meat no one wants to eat.
• You aren't full of superfluous stuff no one can eat.
• You don't look grotesquely like a big bird sitting on the table.
• You are easy to slice up into pretty pieces.
• Did I mention you always turn out juicy and flavorful? You always turn out juicy and flavorful. I like your marinated you. :)
• Your leftovers are easy to put aside, and tasty for many days. I like your leftovers in leftover rolls as yummy marinated-turkey and yummy-roll sandwiches.
• Without you, we would probably never, ever have a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, and that could be considered utterly horrifying. You restore a bit of something traditional to our holiday. This is the least of my concerns (I'm more concerned with how tasty you are when marinated and barbecued :)) but, nevertheless, you make the "must-have" turkey dinner easy and tasty. 

Clearly, Turkey Breast, you are far superior to the whole from which you sprung. And you are grossly unappreciated! (Which actually works out well when it comes to being able to buy you at the store.... :)) Thanks for making our Thanksgiving tastier than it used to be!

1 comment:

sweetmama.heather said...

Your mom makes a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner! I remember how yummy it was when we visited sooooo long ago.