#4 — Tendon Busting!
I used to run in high school. And I busted up my ankles. My coaches thought I had shinsplints: "Ice it and take ibuprofen and get out there and run." So I ran. Many, many miles (probably 100?). On a broken ankle! "Um.... Am I supposed to not be able to walk after a race?" "Shinsplints. Ice it and take ibuprofen." Gotcha. [Except I stopped trying the ice since it makes my joints swell more and gives me hives. :)] Coming down a hill in the middle of a meet, the broken ankle had finally had too much and it collapsed under me, busting up the tendons in my foot. (I finished the race! Not that I should have.... But I did! And a good time, too!)
X-rays a couple weeks later (after another meet!) gave me this memorable quote from the doctor: "She's not walking on that foot is she?" Haha! Broken ankle. Which led to the busted tendons that are actually way more painful than a broken ankle.
Because I was a complete moron and let my idiot coaches talk me into starting track before I was fully healed, then broke both ankles again, then let them talk me into track again . . . I still have destroyed ankles. (For what? For stupid high school? Ridiculous.) Every so often my ankle just folds under me again with no warning. And every couple of years, it happens to be while I'm jogging across a street or something (rather than just walking), and I tear a gazillion tendons again. It takes a good couple of months to get better.
Last time it happened, we were on vacation, trying to catch a bus back to our hotel, and Matt kept telling me on the bus ride: "uh, Auburn, I think you're in shock...." Whatever. "Auburn, you're in shock and your leg is destroyed and killing you, will you please not try to walk to the hotel...." But there was no other option...! And the bus stop had been closed for a couple days, dropping us off a quarter-mile from the hotel. Too bad I couldn't fit in Seth's stroller.... Hehe. Ah, cruddy ankles.... They make for great excitement sometimes. And fantastic pools-o-blood bruises all through a foot and up a leg.
(Kristin, remember me tearing those tendons trying to get to church in London? And you trying to insist on carrying me across the city? Haha! That was high adventure. And making me go to the hospital where they thought I was a Norman? HAHAHAHA!!!)
2 comments:
So how does it hold up with the extra weight you will soon be carrying? High School is such a big deal for such a little time. Hard to see that till you're in college.
I totally remember! I was afraid you were going to die if I didn't carry you piggy-back around the city. I wasn't sure which was scarier though - your crazy ankles or the drive to the hospital. I sill remember getting into Tony's car and praying we made it there in (mostly) one piece!
Post a Comment