Thursday, June 3

Match Day!

And here we are again! I love the Match! It's just so elegant: you interview; you rank your programs in order of preference; the programs rank their applicants in order of preference; tah dah! A computer spits out everyone's best case scenario. Awesome.

We spent more than two weeks traveling around the West Coast exploring Pediatric Cardiology departments. Matt interviewed at Children's Hospital of LA, UCLA, University of Washington, Oregon Health and Science University, Stanford, UCSF, and UCSD.

And Match Day was yesterday . . . .

We're thrilled!! Woo hoo!! Got our top pick! The program is exactly what Matt is looking for. The faculty and fellows are great and fun people, the program is the right size, the patient population is ideal, the variety of cases is ideal (some hospitals get all the really rare stuff and not enough bread-and-butter, while others have the opposite problem. This hospital has just the right catchment and expertise and size to get a perfect mix!), the set-up of the department is unique...and ideal (for Matt :)). It's perfection. And as if all that weren't enough, THE Pediatric Cardiologist in the Western United States is the head of the department, and THE Electrophysiologist (the area Matt will sub-specialize in) was recruited a couple years ago. The mentoring and shoulder-rubbing couldn't be better. Couldn't be better!

Perfection!

And.... Oh yeah.... Oh yeah!!


It's here!:


That's right, folks! Staying in beautiful San Diego for years to come. How did we get so lucky? I remember looking forward to residency and just praying that the program would be good enough to justify moving to our dream place. And then it was hands down the stand-out program for Matt. (And it really has been perfect! What a blessing.) So we thanked the heavens for that amazing coincidence—ideal program in the ideal place? Seriously?—and we completely planned on a move in three years to Stanford or UCLA or UW. Because what were the chances UCSD would have the ideal Pediatric Cardiology program too...? And then it turned out to be amazing! Amazing! Even at places like Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UW, and even when they were trying their darndest to recruit Matt, the more they were impressed by him the more it would come spilling out: "you know, you've really got the best of the best right there at UCSD [Dr. Moore and Dr. Perry are legends].... We think our program is fantastic and would treat you very well but, I hate to say it, it would be a tremendous career move to stay where you are.... Darn!!" Yep. Our thoughts exactly. UCSD has come through for us BIG TIME by being totally awesome. Thank you UCSD!

Wooooooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

(Also! ALSO! Amy just moved here! Oh, the fabulousness never stops. :-D)

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are so lucky!! Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you. :) (And slightly jealous, especially now that Amy is down there too! I need to come visit soon!)

Christy Lou said...

Waahoooo!!! That's awesome :) I am so happy for you guys! That is incredible. The work environment sounds wonderful enough to justify a move to Barrow, AK - but the part where it is in SD... wow. You couldn't be luckier :) And now that Amy is there - could life get better? I don't think so. Congrats, on EVERYTHING! I haven't been able to stop thinking about you guys for the last while, and it makes me happy every time you pop up in my thoughts :) Keep it up :)

Ellie said...

You guys lead a charmed life. Congrats.

Rebecca said...

remember that time I was walking a canyon and then made it to a parking lot and your brother saw me and tried really hard to convince everyone it was true... :) That is what I was remembering while you were talking about UCSD coming through for you.

What fun that you guys get to stay in San Diego! Hooray!

Angela said...

Congrats to you guys. That's amazingly great news!

Janelle said...

Congrats!!! I know you love it there! Very exciting!