
I've been sorting through my kid journals and keep finding awesome things to laugh at! Even just the general workings of a kid-mind are hilarious. Or evidence that I did, in fact, grow up in the 80's. Or my melodrama! So great. Here are a few things I thought were amusing....
An introduction to my 11-year-old journal:
"Dear whoever reads this,
I hope that if you find this long after I am dead that you'll be able to learn all about me, and add me to somebody else's pedigree chart.
Happy 21st or 22nd century,
Auburn Diane Golding"
Ha ha!
(I'm not sure how I thought information from my 6th-grade journal could get me added to a pedigree chart.... "Aha! Check it out! She just wrote that she gave birth to Alfred John Golding, my 3rd-great-grandfather! Put her on my pedigree chart, baby!")
Another introduction went like this:
"My name is Auburn Diane Golding. I am tall for my age (5'2" at age 11) [I hit my height only a year later! And everyone passed me up.... 5'4" :)]. I love pizza, ice cream, and lasagna. I love reading and making friends. I am very athletic, and I love to have fun. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [I actually DID spell that right–no capital D or lack of hyphen :)] and I believe strongly in its teachings."
A little bit of innocent 7-year-old bragging:
December 11, 1988
"I had a Primary Christmas Program. I sang a solo called 'AWAY IN A MANGER VERSE TWO.' My cousins Kim and Tim came with Grandma from Perris just to hear me! I sang very pretty & the whole stake listened to me. I had so many comments! I loved it."
I wrote in pen later: "(although many people laughed)." Ha ha! I'm guessing some kid razzed me the next week in church or something.
Some funny stuff with my parents (I can't wait to see how our kids write about US!):
January 24, 1989
"Today was my eighth birthday! We couldn't have treats for a month so I didn't get any cake. But I did have a deal with dad that we could go to miniture golf."
May 13, 1989
"Today I went to the mall alone with mom & dad. I did a few things.
1. *Got my ears pierced (because my mom found out she was having another boy—usually 12 yrs. to get ears done)
2. Ate ice cream and a YUMMY piece of pizza.
3. Went to get baby things.
I would usually be sad for having a boy. But if we didn't, I would have to wait 4 yrs. to get my ears pierced."
HA HA HA HA!!! Oh man.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
November 9, 1987 [just a fun tidbit: this is the negative-11th anniversary of the day I met Matt, which was almost 11 years ago now! It was funny to read how little I was—six years old here—and picture that as much time elapsed between it and meeting Matt as between meeting Matt and now. :)]
"Tonight my mom was putting in cutins [I had to read this entry 10 times before I finally realized I was talking about curtains here]. She used pipes. She wanted me to help her. I didn't understand, so I broke the pipe. My mom was sad. She put her head to the ground. I went back upstairs to go to sleep. My mom was not angry. Tonight I got a coloring book and crayons. I had a bad day today. I went to my brothers birthday (David's) party. My mom gave out bags with suprises in them. I got one but somone else needed one so my mom told me I needed to give it to him/her. When we got home I asked if I could have a bag she said "yes". So I got the bag and things to put in it. But all there was was stickers. I was mad & sad." Then I drew a picture of a face with tears—apparently pouring out of the ear. :) Hehe. (I've always been terrible at drawing. :))
October 18, 1987
"Today we took a walk. And me and my brothers Ran home And we scard my dad then he told my Mom he needed a kiss. She came in and we scarded her too. Boo!"
February 5, 1992
"I made the basketball team! I was so excited until I had to baby-sit my brothers. They goofed around the whole time & blamed it on me! Dad said that we would've gone to a BYU basketball game tomorrow night but now we won't. I'm so MAD!"
The next day: "Today I could have gone to a basketball game. Maybe dad will reconsider. I hope so." Hehe.
Other disappointments:
January 24, 1991
"Today is my birthday. Tomorrow I get to go to DISNEYLAND! I'm SO EXCITED."
January 25th [in tiny writing and with sad faces everywhere]
"NO DISNEYLAND. It just didn't work out. Maybe Monday."
January 28th
"NO DISNEYLAND. Greg got sick. TOMORROW, YEA!!"
January 29th
"Greg's still sick. NO DISNEYLAND. Or tomorrow." And then, at the bottom of the page: "Next week. I can't wait that long."
Finally, February 5th! "Today mom and I went to Disneyland." So my mom had pity on me and finally took me herself. :) (I had some fun stories to share, too. :))
Some other fun Disneyland entries:
April 5, 1989
"Today we went to Disneyland. It was over 100 digrees so our whole day was going to restaraunts and getting drinks. We had fun although it was the worst time I had at disneyland. We went on, Captain EO, the train, tea cups, Small World, Snow White, Pinochio, merry go round, Jungle Cruise, (me and dad) Thunder Mountin, Treehouse, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carrabean, and last we went on the Monarail. In the parade I met either Madonna or Cindy Lauper and she pretended to kick me!" (I guess I couldn't figure out who she was supposed to look like! :))
April 20, 1990
"Today as we were walking around Disneyland looking for a place to eat we saw Bro. Thomas S. Monson! My mom wanted to eat at some places that were crowded. We begged to go to a less crowded place & suggested to get a fritter and a mint Julip. My mom agreed and we ate a fritter. As I was bringing the food to the rest of my family, I noticed someone who looked very familiar to me, yet I didn't know who it was. When I heard my mom say, "Sister Monson! I'm Sister Golding!" I smiled and held out my hand. Unfortunately, he was with my mom, then he went to Greg, then to Davey, and finally to me. By then my right arm was tired [I added in with a carrot, VERY tired :)]. We saw him about 5 other times that day and every time I felt how lucky all those people were to be standing next to someone so special. As I looked back I realized why I hadn't recognized him, it was the first time I saw him without a suit and tie."
And some funny, dramatic moments:
February 10, 1992
"Today it rained! This is so nice. Except in Malibu and around there are a bunch of floods. Some people have died. That's too bad. I love the rain but I wish it wouldn't kill people."
For some reason I can't stop laughing over that one. You should see it written out—it's even funnier somehow! (And yes, that was the entire entry that day. :))
February 20, 1992
"Today was the basketball tournament!!! At first, I was excited, but a little self-conscious. I didn't bring any pants to wear underneath my shorts so almost my whole leg showed. And to make matters worse, all the girls on the team had to change in the same room. Everyone saw me take my pants off, but my shirt was large and my underwear didn't have hearts on it or anything, so it wasn't THAT embarrassing, but akward. We rode over to Butterfield school on the bus but all I could think about was how stupid I looked. So I said a little prayer in my heart and decided I would untuck my shirt. I looked great!" :)
Ah, I love this stuff. One last one—it's the earliest evidence I can find that I have great taste. :)
October 30, 1987 (6 years old)
"Today I went to school and had a cupcake that had choclate frosting and candy pumpkin sprinkles. We also had orange juice and tortias with chili and chese on top. The tortias I ate all of. There was two and most of the kids didn't eat all of them but I did."
Haha! :) That's a cool six-year-old. :)
2 comments:
Oh man, that was so awesome! So funny! I have some classics like that in my journals too. :) I liked the one about the rain and wishing it wouldn't kill people. :)
What 6-year-old keeps a journal? Priceless. Thanks for sharing . . . (I'm still bitter about missing that basketball game!)
Post a Comment