
I've had this blog too long to still be neglecting my great and loyal friend: Cereal. Mmmm...! It's the best! Here are some random things I feel like sharing about it.
The picture is of me eating Smurfs cereal a long, long time ago. (Notice the glee!) Does anyone remember Smurfs cereal? I still do—I can still taste it.... Oh, Smurfs cereal! Why are you gone?!
My favorite cereals are:
#1! Great Grains–raisins, dates, pecans. YUM!!
2. Raisin Nut Bran
3. Special K–fruit and yogurt
4. Honey Bunches of Oats–almond (especially good with banana!)
5. Wheat Chex
6. Oh's
7. Cinnamon Life
8. Frosted Shredded Wheat–blueberry or big bite
9. Honey Nut Cheerios
10. Quaker Oatmeal Squares
(I've also been known to really enjoy Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles with fresh strawberries, and even [feigned embarrassment...] Cap'n Crunch with crunchberries! :))
I never, ever spend more than about two bucks on a box of cereal. I'm also kind of obsessive about buying it! I can't go through a grocery store without walking down the cereal aisle looking for what happens to be on sale—if one of our favorites is cheap, I stock up. Sometimes I think, oh, I'll get four boxes. No, six. No...we really like this one, I'll get 10.... Hehe. When I start to feel like maybe I don't need to buy any more cereal for a while, I look at our stash in the garage and say, hey! But it's great food storage! And it is, right? Plus, it's always depressing to actually run out of something like Raisin Nut Bran, and also depressing to spend five bucks on it when it used to be on sale for two. So I think I'll be a filler-of-carts-with-cheap-cereal for...ever.... :)
Best idea I ever had: Dessert Cereal! Ha ha! I can't wait to manipulate our kids with this one. Every kid loves trash cereal right? And every kid loves dessert right? So you let them pick out their Cap'n Crunch and Chucky Larms all they want, but it's, get this . . . dessert cereal. Then you let them pick out breakfast cereal. Oh, it's so brilliant. And how much more acceptable does Cap'n Crunch seem when it's their dessert instead of brownies? Not such trash anymore, is it? Yes, yes.... Dessert cereal! Our kids will love it. :)
Cereal: the reason I have diminished hope in having a girl someday. A study was published last year where some 800 women were followed surrounding pregnancy. Those who had a diet before conception of calorie-rich foods, most notably [sound of doom!] cereal, were 50%—fifty percent!!—more likely to conceive a boy. Cereal and bananas were the two things mentioned specifically. Well, there you go. I've tried a few times to give up cereal for a while in preparation for one day having a girl, but it's impossible I'm afraid. (Women were 50% more likely to conceive a girl if they ate, well, basically nothing...! All those salad-and-water people. I'm all for a great salad, but not before I've had my cereal. :))
Cereal: the reason I lost all that baby weight plus 10+ pounds. After Seth was born, I kind of experienced a cereal diet. Home all day for the first time ever, my eating schedule got kind of disrupted (read: I kept wanting to eat! :)). Cereal was my good friend—kept me from eating a bazillion calories a day. And, wow, that weight just melted off! (Nursing was my other good friend—probably even the better one. :)) Anyway, nursing + cereal = excellent diet plan (for me, at least). Thank you, cereal!
This blog entry: the reason I need to go pour myself a cup of cheerios. :)
4 comments:
I am so happy you love cereal. I love it too. I've always loved it. I need to work on a top 10 list...
1. I love crunchberries.
2. We do the dessert cereal, but it's the dessert after breakfast not after dinner. When we have sugar cereals the kids have a bowl of regular cereal first and then they can have a small bowl of crunchberries. I, on the other hand, am not required to eat regular cereal first and can skip straight to the crunchberries.
3. I have cereal pretty much every day and bananas often. We have 4 girls. In a row. What am I doing wrong? Peter informed me yesterday afternoon (as I am walking with 5 kids across a parking lot feeling very conspicuous with our large family) that he really hopes the next baby will be a boy. So I asked how many more babies he thought we should have and he basically said as many as it takes to get him a brother. Hmm.
4. I am having hot wheat cereal for breakfast this morning. I am keeping a list of all the wonderful things I will eat when our biggest loser contest is over on April 3rd. I think I need to add crunchberries to the list!
I LOVE this post...and I totally agree. I was just thinking (literally two days ago) that I should blog about how I LOVE to eat cereal at night. Often when I am settling down for the night and watching a little show or something, I love to pour myself a bowl of cereal with SUPER cold milk. DELICIOUS. I also ate a bunch of cereal while I was pregnant and right after I gave birth each time (worked for me too).
Oh man, I love cereal too! And dessert cereal! GENIUS!! I love it. In recent years I've started thinking of my all time favorite cereal -- Cocoa Krispies -- that way. I usually eat cereal at least once a day, and sometimes more. :) Oh, and speaking of crunchberries, growing up when we'd buy Cap'n Crunch with berries, some of my sisters didn't like the berries, so they'd pick them out and I'd collect them until I had enough to eat a bowl of JUST berries. I was way ahead of my time. :)
Post a Comment