Thursday, March 26

Awesome.

First of all, I'm loving the survey participation so far! Thanks! Any new visitors: the survey will be open for a while, so check it out!

I have to share some very fun, heart-warming stories about Seth. :) Recently, my heart sank to be among a large group of people and be the only person in the room who knew what funk was. Funk! I had said something like, "what we need is some good funk music!" And someone said, "what's funk?" Huh? What's funk?!! Enough to bowl a person over! And then no one else knew either! What's funk? I tried to describe. Uh, Earth, Wind, and Fire? [blank stares] Stevie Wonder? "All I know from Stevie Wonder is 'I Just Called to Say I Love You.'" [Now came MY blank stare. :-|]

Then there's our 2-year-old! Hehe. First, I must defend that—while we have been mildly brainwashy about how he should love Michael Jackson (hehe—we've watched Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson dance videos together since he was a baby, and along with learning animal sounds we taught him at 15 months that Michael Jackson says "OW!" Ha ha! :))—we haven't been overly persuasive about anyone else. Listening to music in the car, he occasionally tells us to: "Turn it UP! Wow, what's this song called?" Usually he means, "who is this?" Because when we tell him the name of the song ("It's called 'When You Were Young'"), he says, "What's 'When You Were Young' called?" The Killers. "The Kuhl-lers? Ok." It's SO fun to see what stands out as awesome to him! He loves a good rock beat. He also loves... FUNK! And blues! 

So, on to the heart-warming stories. We hadn't listened to any Stevie Wonder in a long while, so it was a fun surprise when we were in the car last week, and Amy and I were talking, and I said something about "one-hit wonder," and Seth chimed in from the backseat: "Stevie Wonder? I LIKE Stevie Wonder!" 

This got him in a Stevie Wonder kind of groove, I guess, because a few days later we were in the car and he randomly said, "Mom, I like Stevie Wonder. [pause] Mom, I like Ray Charlie, too." Ha ha! Could my heart burst any more?! :) When we got home he wanted to watch some Stevie Wonder and Ray Charlie, so I busted out "We Are The World" for the first time in a while. Sure enough, Ray Charles comes on and he goes "OOOooohhH!! There he is!!" 

Then, split-screen of Stevie Wonder and Bruce Springsteen. "Oooh! There's Stevie Wonder!" Bruce Springsteen leaves. Bruce Springsteen returns. "There's Stevie Wonder again!" 

WHOA. :-|

Hold up. I rewind. "THAT'S Stevie Wonder. [he looks surprised] And THAT'S Bruce Springsteen. Who do you like?"

"Brew Speeng-Teen!"

HA HA HA!! Great. Totally made me laugh since Bruce Springsteen had always been my favorite part of that video when I was a kid. (He's totally weird in it! It's awesome!) Anyway, I asked him if he wanted to see other Stevie Wonder videos, and then he recognized the music and got it all straight. He even started to do the Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder awesomely-cool head moves.

The next day, in the car, totally randomly like he'd been quietly thinking about it for a while:
"Ahhh.... I like Stevie Wonder. [pause] I love Stevie Wonder. [pause] Stevie Wonder starts with a B. With a G. With a J...? Wuh, wuuuuh, wuuuuu-under.... Wuuuuunder.... Wuuuuuu-under...." (I'm not sure he ever settled on "W" but he really was trying to figure it out! So cute!) Then some more quiet. "Mom, Stevie Wonder plays the harmonica." Yep, he does. "Mom.... I love Ray Charles, too. Ray Charles wiggles his head. Like THIS." And there was my totally funky kid, busting a move in his car seat.... :)

I love this kid!

 

And for all your all enjoyment, an awesomely funky video that made our day the other day. Go to my blog if it doesn't show up on Reader!

(Amusingly, Seth managed to enjoy the video for "I Just Called to Say I Love You" because it was SO cool that Stevie Wonder was talking on a phone. Ha ha! I just kept thinking about this thing I saw a million years ago, some countdown of the worst music videos ever, and someone had said about it: "That video... is a crime against a blind man!" Ha ha!)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I would scarcely believe that a kid as little as Seth could be so articulate on this subject if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. Too, too funny!

Amy said...

Also, I like reading about you and I being in the car together, and all the being in the same city that represents. It needs to happen more often.

Elizabeth said...

I love it! What a funny kid! Tell him I said hi. :) I want to come visit again!