Saturday, June 20

What does this make you think?

I'll tell you what it makes me think: don't screw this up, don't screw this up! Auburn, so help me, if you even think about taking your eyes off that light...!

I enjoy creating several "rules of thumb" for life. Hehe. They probably deserve their own blog post! (I'll put it on the docket. :)) Things like: if you had time to make a complete stop, and the light is still yellow.... You chose poorly, friend.... :)

BUT, rule of thumb when you see a photo-enforcement sign?! If you see a yellow light—a glowing yellow orb of death—and you don't slam on your brakes and sit patiently behind the limit line...? You fool! (It's time to go see the doctor about that brain transplant....) Sure, when you're right about to enter the intersection and the light barely turns yellow, chances are you'll make it through. But if you don't...? That $485 ticket is gonna hurt.

Yes! You heard me correctly! $485!

Second rule of thumb at a photo light: don't you dare enter the intersection when there's even the slightest possibility you'll get stalled by the traffic in front of you.

That's gotta be an awful feeling to be stuck behind a row of cars, watching the light above you turn yellow, then red, and seeing the flashes of cameras documenting your stupidity.

So, San Diego has a fair number of these photo lights. I think about 10 or so. I see one or two of them most every day. And...! Without fail!! Can you believe it? I always see people running red lights! Are they insane?! Did you not notice the very prominent signs, warning you that you're about to lose five hundred bucks?! You really want to get through the intersection that badly...? 500 bucks?

Sometimes I think, well, maybe someone is in labor or something. But then I remember Matt trying to get me to the hospital while I was in transition, running red lights all across Denver, and I think... no.... No way would Matt have run that red light. Five hundred bucks? No way. And me.... Sure, I couldn't say two words at the time, but I swear I would have jumped at him, pulled him by the collar, and yelled something like, "cross this line and we're through!!" if that photo sign had come at us. ;)

Five hundred bucks!!

So.... People! What are you thinking?

No comments: