And another question, which may or may not sound related: does the faucet in a public restroom give you germy heebie-jeebies?
I read in an article in the New York Times that these questions can identify your political leanings! I want to see more! Apparently, conservatives are far more likely than liberals to NOT be willing to slap their father in the face, even with permission—and liberals are likely to think that's just fine (with permission... :)). Also, liberals are far more likely to say the faucet doesn't bother them, while conservatives worry about its germs.
My answers? I had said no, no way to the slapping my father in the face. It's unthinkable! Maybe my dad before my grandma, or something, but still.... And to the faucet heebie-jeebies...? Also a no. I don't think about it one second. Big deal. I've even been in some pretty germy bathrooms (world traveling has its price :)), and I never once worried that, what? Some germs are gonna.... What...?
Just give me some soap or hand sanitizer, and back in the fresh air, and I'm good.
Anyway, I was pleased that with this huge sample of TWO WHOLE QUESTIONS :), I came out as a moderate. Hehe. Which I'm pretty sure I actually am. I'm at least dang sure I'm not a liberal, and sometimes even more sure I'm not a conservative. And now this proves it, right? Ha ha!
As for Matt, he answered "moderately" as well.... Though with the opposite answers! A reflection of our political compatibility...? Haha! It amused me. Even if the thought of Matt slapping his dad is downright horrifying. The gall!
How do you answer?
10 comments:
I'm split too...no way (no way) to slapping my dad. And germs...eh, it never crosses my mind either (and I, like you, have done my share of international travel). Weird.
It seems to me like a GUY would be more likely to slap his father in a comedy sketch more than a girl. And a girl more likely to care about germs. (Though I guess you and I have already disproved that.) But then it becomes a gender question and not a reflection of your political inclinations.
Yeah, they seem to be oversimplifying things a bit. :)
NEVER slap my dad. Public ANYTHING is germ ridden and gross. =)
I would say I am NOT conservative...but more republican than democrat. Def not a total liberal...I feel I am moderate. Actually, my interest in politics is love/hate, and I have researched what I might be: Fiscally Conservative Moderate Republican (or, possibly, Fiscally Conservative Republican-leaning Moderate?)
=)
Not just public bathrooms -- ANY bathroom is a hotbed of bacteria just waiting to jump onto me. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. Even in my own bathroom, where I know who has been there, what they have done, and how recently it has been cleaned I still don't want to touch anything. If it wouldn't cause SO much laundry, I would use a fresh towel EVERY time. If I have to go into the bathroom while I am cooking (even to help my kids and if I never touch anyone or anything) I always have to wash my hands in the bathroom and then wash them again when I get back to the kitchen. Sometimes I have to wash down the soap bottle and then wash my hands again. And I feel better if I can have a little delay between the bathroom and the kitchen. I have no idea why, it's not as if extra germs are going to fall off while I wait, but I guess it gets the germs out of my head. I always wash my hands first thing when I get home from anywhere (grocery store, playground, church, etc.) too. Have you ever seen my hands? I am going to have the hands of a 90 year old woman by the time I am 40. I'd like to blame the UW School of Public Health, but I'm pretty sure I'd still be this way without having gone there. They may have intensified it a little. Or not.
As for slapping my dad, not a chance.
Interesting idea. I may have to quiz my family.
Now that I have read the article I have more to say. Shocking, I know. I didn't take the disgust quiz, but I'm pretty sure I would score high on it based on the examples they gave. But I don't consider myself a germaphobe. I just think there are rules of hygiene and germ etiquette that should be followed. These include washing your hands after going to the bathroom or changing a diaper and after you cough, sneeze, or blow your nose. As not everyone follows these rules, germs abound in public places and I choose to rid myself of them as soon as I can. I may be very slightly OCD about it, but not to the point of being incapacitated, just to the point of liking to wash my hands. :-)
to Elizabeth -- I can't believe you'd bring gender into this. ;) Hehe. So, you're probably right (?) (since all the ladies so far have said they wouldn't slap their dad, and my husband said he would... large enough sample, right? :)) that men are more likely to answer they'd slap their dad. But, for some reason, I'm WAY more put off by the idea of a man slapping his father than a woman slapping hers. A woman, it might make them both laugh or something, I don't know. A man slapping his father.... That's just offensive. :)
Janelle -- HAHAHAHAHA!! I want you to research what my identification would be! I hope it has many hyphens. :)
Ellie -- So I took the disgust quiz! I honestly don't even remember right now what the rest of the article said.... Maybe my mind was wandering around about the slapping your dad and not liking the faucet ideas. :) But I followed their link and took a quiz or two. Don't analyze the statistics of it. It might debunk this whole thing.... Hehe. Anyway, as I took it, I thought, eh, maybe I don't get disgusted SO easily.... But when the results popped up, I was above the national average on every category! Even though I answered a 0 on things like, touching a corpse.... Picking up a neighbor's dead cat with my bare hands.... Only a few were revolting—I DID say it would disgust me to see someone put ketchup on an ice cream cone and eat it.... :)
I'm going with no to slapping my dad, and no the bathroom faucet has never bothered me. There's one more for your answer pool. :)
Also to Ellie—your post made me think about the time Matt and I got food poisoning from Sonic in good ol' Laramie, WY. Ugh. That's the time I puked over 30 times and lost 7% of my body weight in about 10 or 12 hours. (Matt wasn't THAT bad, but still terrible! I think he puked 10 times that day.... He had only had a bite of my food. And he wasn't 7 weeks pregnant. :)) Anyway, when I think about where that bug came from....! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHCCCKKKKKKKKK!!! Makes me want to run to cooking staff any time I eat out, and force them all to use hand sanitizer before making my food. DISGUSTING!!!!
Then again, I've eaten out A LOT. And only been sick from someone's germs ONCE..... And I'm sure there have been a billion times they didn't wash hands after going to the bathroom. That--oddly--is very comforting. Hehe. Seems like odds are on our side. :)
Actually, that's probably why I don't feel creeped out by germs in public. Because I *am* overwhelmed by the reality of how ubiquitous they are. And yet.... What do they ever do to me...? Would I have had one single fewer cold in my life if I drowned everyone in sanitizer all day...? I saw a lady get in a ride at Sea World with her kid, and she almost had a seizure or something trying to get the entire ride and seat belt doused in hand sanitizer before she and her kid might touch any of it. Washing your hands is one thing--pretty reasonable--but THIS...! What did she think would happen to everyone else who just sat down...? I mean, really? Poor kid.... Cleaning off Sea World rides before she can get in.... Yikes.
So, with private bathrooms, you make me laugh because I have my own creepy-issue with private bathrooms! :) I can't stand when.... You go in a bathroom, and the lid is up! Disgusting!! It's like walking into the room and having it yell at you, "Hello! I'm here for pee and poop!" The whole room. All about the pee and poop. Because the lid was up. Lid down, and the room is just a bathroom, with a toilet under there somewhere.... :) It also says to me, "someone in this house--not a stranger, but a person you know--was... you know... right here! Very recently!" :-| That's uncouth. I don't want to SEE any evidence that someone in the house had been using that toilet. It just seems proper to destroy all evidence before you go back out into the world. Including, putting the lid down! Toilets are disgusting without lids. :)
Ok, and because you and I frequently have many things to say back and forth (we need to talk more! It's fun! :)), when you talk about going to the kitchen and washing hands again, it made me think about my meat-handling rituals. Every time I touch raw meat--EVERY TIME--I can't bring myself to touch ANYTHING without washing my hands. So if I'm going to get it out of a container and season both sides, I'll have three or four times that I'm washing my hands. I watched someone cook one time who seasoned this piece of meat (with much handling), and then went and pulled out a bunch of produce and made a salad with no hand washing! And her husband, meanwhile, went and cooked the piece of meat, then brought it back in the same dish he had taken it out in! Couldn't believe it.... Of course, AGAIN.... I ate the entire meal with zero consequences.... I tell myself this when I really would like to NOT wash my hands a billionth time just trying to get chicken in the oven, but in this case it doesn't work. :)
That was a very long comment to Ellie. Hehe.
And, hey, Beckster and I and Elizabeth are twinners. Or.... whatever....
I'm surprised NO ONE has said yet that they could slap their dad. :)
Apparently you don't have enough liberals following your blog. :-)
And I'm right there with you on the raw meat. But my parents have a friend who is about 40 and has 7 kids and is not vegetarian who has NEVER touched raw meat. They say she's pretty good with 2 forks and for what she can't accomplish that way she uses rubber gloves. She makes me feel totally normal. :-)
I thought the same thing, Ellie. :) But I KNOW there are liberals reading this blog! Come on, fess up! You'd slap your dad! ;)
I can't believe it's possible to have NEVER touched raw meat. WOW.... :-|
Wow.
Post a Comment