Mmmm.... I love milk. And I drink so much of it that I've always been convinced I would actually gain weight by upgrading from 1%. Or maybe even lose weight if I downgraded to skim, but I could never, ever do that to myself (DEE-sgusting...). Once—only once—I had a long-term relationship with the best of the best: whole milk! I was pregnant and losing weight instead of gaining it (getting a wretched case of food poisoning in the 1st month that made me lose 8 pounds in 10 hours didn't help...!). Since I still enjoyed drinking milk, I realized it was my big chance. I drank whole milk for months! Ah.... Those were great times....Recently, Matt and I ran out of our usual 1% and spent a few days stealing Seth's whole milk. And we had an epiphany. Maybe we could manage to actually consume fewer calories by treating ourselves to whole milk all the time! Thus, our experiment began.
Our rationale: That whole milk is SO incredibly tasty and satisfying that you need much less of it.
And don't comment that yuck you can't stand whole milk it's only skim for you unless you can honestly—honestly!—say two things: that 1) you don't like milk at all; and 2) you also don't like ice cream. If you can't say those things, I do not, cannot, will never believe you that you actually dislike whole milk. :)
So far, I think we might be right about not getting fat on this decadence. :) I only use about half as much milk in a bowl of cereal as I used to, which is probably fewer calories than even skim milk would be. And OH so much tastier! I'm also back to enjoying cereal for dessert which is a third the calories of eating dessert for dessert. And just as tasty thanks to the ice cream—er, I mean milk. I also don't feel so tempted to fill up a whole glass and drink milk all the time instead of water (a full glass of whole milk is a little too decadent for everyday use... :)), which means probably four more glasses of water every day (I suppose that's good for me...) and two or three fewer glasses of milk. Seriously. I used to drink a lot of milk. Hehe. All in all, I think this experiment is working. We may be whole milk drinkers for life! Yum!
5 comments:
I agree. I used to be really against whole milk (far too much calories and fat when you can have a glass of 1% for less), but when Caelan was a toddler we bought whole milk for her. I would drink some here and there....DELICIOUS!! Now, there is one requirement with whole milk - it has to be REALLY cold, but then it really is quite a treat. We don't have it much anymore, but it is a pretty good treat every now and then.
I've gotta admit that I don't really love drinking whole milk, but then I don't drink regular milk much either even though I do like ice cream. There is one thing I love to do with whole milk though which is to pour it over some fresh peaches or berries with a little cinnamon and nutmeg. It's like peaches and cream only better and more nutritious. If you haven't tried it you definitely should!
I gave up milk (the shock! the horror!). It was actually quite easy. I'm a soy drinker now- unsweetened. I really like it now than I'm used to it- but at first, it tasted really nutty. Thats the best way to describe it. If you ever try soy milk- try the chocolate kind. I bet you wont even like soy milk since you love milk so much. Wow, I've just said "milk" a lot!
I remember making chocolate milk like this, but I must warn you- if you do it, you will never make chocolate milk the normal way again! Put the Hershey's in the glass. Fill it 1/4 with whole milk about, stir in the chocolate. Proceed to fill up the glass a little past 3/4 full. Then, add cream to fill up the rest of the glass. Give it another swirl with the spoon....heaven! Its like a very aqueous milk shake (but w/o the ice cream; so, therefore, its less calories than a milk shake !
That chocolate milk sounds . . . AWESOME. You've got to be kidding me. Whole milk and cream? How could I handle such amazingness?
That is great. I remember you drinking whole milk as a treat at night on cereal in our condo. I still can't believe you love that stuff. I love milk, but I still don't believe it should coat your mouth (as I don't believe ice cream should either...but I don't love ice cream, I usually spend my calories elsewhere). I love your experiment all the same! Hope it works!
Post a Comment