Thursday, September 25

Fun on a Wednesday Night


Yesterday I hopped into bed and a random thought popped into my head. Well, maybe not so random since I had thought it several times before. But this time I went ahead and asked Matt, "Have you ever wanted to fill your mouth with water and measure it to see how big your mouth is?" HA! To my surprise, he leapt out of bed and said, "LET'S DO THAT!!" Ha ha ha! So we did. It was more difficult that I had anticipated. First of all, it's hard to fill your mouth with water. Second of all, it's hard to spit a full mouth of water out in any way that doesn't make a mess or is measurable. Third of all, Matt is totally incapable of having his mouth filled up with water without laughing his head off, inhaling a bunch of water, spitting the rest all over himself, and then laughing some more while he drowns. Hehe. We ended up using a big syringe so the water was already accurately measured before it went in a mouth. We made guesses. I thought Matt's huge mouth could hold a cup and a third, and that my tiny mouth would hold less than half a cup. Matt thought his mouth would hold 3/4 a cup and mine would hold 1/3 a cup. We repeated the measurements to ensure reliability. Hehe. And because it was funny. HA HA HA! 

It turns out that, at least when we're just laying flat, waiting until you can't pour any more water in without it dripping out, Matt's mouth has a capacity of about 128 mL, or a little more than half a cup, while my mouth has a capacity of 80 mL, or 1/3 cup. So Matt's a much better guesser than I am! No surprise. We've known for a long time that my spatial intelligence is clearly lacking. (On a spatial IQ test, I score a full 50 points lower than on a standard IQ test! HA HA HA! I never won those guess the number in the jar games unless there was some logical way to figure it out. :)) 

If only we could figure out how much Matt's mouth could hold when he's puffing his cheeks out! I joked about injecting liquid with a needle through his cheek. Nice.... Or just through a crack in your lips, but how do you puff your cheeks out while keeping yourself from drowning...? It sounds kind of complicated. Hehe. But I'd LOVE to see Matt try it! HAHA! It would be an impressive result, too, because Matt has the stretchiest skin in the universe—he can pull his cheeks out to a full arm's length. Really. I'm not joking. (Yes I am.) It's really unfair, actually. I bet if Matt had gotten pregnant he wouldn't have a single stretch mark, while I have stretch marks from growth spurts as a kid. Least stretchy skin in the world, I swear (though I was surprised how pregnant I got before I had any stretch marks at all—not that that matters at this point! :)). 

If anyone has a larger mouth than 128 mL (or smaller than 80 mL), I'd love to know! Hehe.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

what may make it easier, should you perform this very scientific experiment again (always good to do more than one), is to use a water pic. whenever i use a water pic, my mouth fills up really, really fast. you would be able to pump a continuous stream of water while puffing out your cheeks (assuming that your lips are pursed around the pic attachment). when you mouth gets too full, spit it into a big popcorn bowl and measure it out.

p.s. i love that you guys got out of bed to do that.

Rebecca said...

tee hee. sounds like a blast. :)