Saturday, December 12

Beard Control for Babies

This story is a year old, but it's still a goodie. :)

When we went to Salt Lake for Bri and Janelle's wedding last December, we got to stay with our fabulous friends Kristin and John. I showed up first, since Matt's schedule was unrelenting.

Seth woke up early in the morning (he was 2 1/2 at the time...) and I thought, oh good, he'll be so tired that he'll sleep on the plane! (I think we had gotten him up at 5:00 or 5:30 for the first flight out. And—another story—we slept through our alarm and rushed to the airport in pajamas! Ack!).

Of course, he didn't sleep on the plane. ...Should have known, Auburn. Should have known. (How can a curious mind sleep when there are so many interesting things going on?)

By the time we got to Salt Lake and were picked up and taken to the hotel where Matt's family was staying, it was still morning and Seth was already clearly insane. At breakfast, he ended up wandering around the restaurant in circles all perplexed, arms outstretched, numbly chanting: "What am I looking for? What am I looking for?" Haha!

When I stole away for a nap later, he just wanted to play with Grandma and Grandpa.

When we braved the snow and ice all day, he stayed awake.

When we went to Matt's grandparents' house later that night for dinner with everyone, he ran around playing with cousins.

So then we go to Kristin's house.... It's late—very late—and he's a complete disaster. His body is giving out on him, his eyes look dreadful.... The kid is beyond exhausted.... I get him ready for bed right away and think, ah yes, he'll go to sleep no problem.

Well, after a little bit of him NOT going to sleep (and finding their art pastels! AAAHHHH!!), all was finally silent, and I thought, yes! And Kristin and I sat only a few feet away from the room to chat for the night. Matt was scheduled to come in but weather delays everywhere but San Diego were keeping him grounded in San Diego (I kept getting text messages from him—why would anyone leave here?! What am I doing?! Hehe). So we're waiting to get the word that someone can finally go pick him up in the middle of the night.

I can't remember what alerted me to the fact that Seth had actually been awake the whole time. I think he actually knocked on the door or something. Kristin and I shared a look of doom, and I went to see if he really could possibly be awake....

And at 1:30 in the morning, twenty hours after Seth had been awakened four hours too early with ne'er a wink of catch-up sleep, this is what we see....

Hahaha!

Never, ever, ever put your child to bed in the same room as your luggage.

My wallet was empty. My make-up had been explored. And, the horrifying part.... He had found all my drugs. The white things you see all over the floor are the contents of a Costco-sized bottle of Claritin (about 300 pills).

(Hopefully you can see these fine. I'm not sure why the videos get darker once they're on the blog....)






I peppered Seth with questions to try to figure if he actually ate any, and I was pretty satisfied that he hadn't....

Until I saw something like this...! [Dum-dum-dumdum!]


Little holes all punched out.... Haha! Beard Control pills. (I've been taking them for forever—since I was first diagnosed with PCOS. My primary motivation in taking them is to not grow a beard. Haha! Very important. So, yes.... Beard Control pills.) The idea of him finding this fascinating punch-hole contraption and working his way through it really amused me. But it also had doom written all over it since I knew exactly how many pills there had been. After scouring every nook and cranny for loose pills, we realized with certainty that he had eaten several. I think it was seven or nine. Seven beard control pills for a 2-year-old! Which, even more alarming, also meant countless claritin pills. Who could tell how many? Could have been fifty or a hundred for all we knew...!

Matt was on a plane by then, about to land, and I called every few seconds until I finally got a hold of him. Pictures of hospital beds were running through my head.... During a wedding! On a trip we only had a few hours for! Luckily, Matt is a wealth of information—saving us an ER visit. Also luckily, beard control and claritin in mass quantities aren't the worst thing ever to a 2-year-old.... Dodged that bullet. (I was glad he hadn't found a way into some of the other drugs! Tylenol?! I can't breathe just thinking about it. Someone was looking out for us....)

By far my favorite thing was that he used my eyeliner. Appropriately. Hahaha!! When I opened the door, he was in the process of putting more on—around and around and around his eyes, trying to get it in just the right place.

He had also put lip gloss on his lips. :) I love trying to imagine the things going on his mind as he discovered one thing after another in my bag.

My other favorite thing was how wired he was for the wedding—still sleep-deprived, and also high on an obscene amount of claritin. (Not to mention whatever a bunch of estrogen might do to a little guy.... Hehe.)

This picture, I think, says it all:


Haha! Yes, that's every other cousin sitting for the picture. Every one. Haha! (Where did this last year go? Look at him!)

Happy Anniversary to Brian and Janelle!!

No comments: