Tuesday, September 22

Honorable Mention

I don't think I'm alone that I feel a lot of nostalgia over certain songs! Here are some songs that are cemented to various times of my life:

Middle School — anything by Boyz II Men (I never liked them, for the record. But boy does it take me back! Early 90's, baby!)

My dorm room (or my freshman year of college :)) — Satellite, Dave Matthews Band; A Long December, Counting Crows (this one seemed so applicable to me once the weather turned bad and I was missing home; it's still one of my favorite, favorite songs of all time :))

Having Mono — Kiss Me :-*, Sixpence None the Richer (haha! I was diagnosed just before Valentine's Day. This song smacked of such irony for me. :))

Matt's two years in Korea — a big pot of cheesiness.... Hehe.

Dating Matt — anything by Norah Jones, Joe Williams, or Kevin Mahogany. "Our song" is Come Away with Me, by Norah Jones. I still get all twitterpated when I hear it, feeling those fun dating days all over again. :)

The end of Winter in Provo — I learned in a geography class (in Utah taught by a Utahn, so I don't doubt the validity) that the official climate definition in the Utah Valley and up to Salt Lake and beyond is characterized by having only two seasons: a harsh, extreme Summer for half the year, and a harsh, extreme Winter the other half, with no Spring or Fall to speak of (by a geographer/meteorologist definition). [Interesting side-note: that particular climate distinction had to be created to classify that area of Utah; there is no other significant area in the world with the same climate. Interesting!] Live there very long at all, and you see this is oh so true. By March, I was always DYING to see the sun again, and for all the dirty snow that had been around for 5 or 6 months to finally melt and let some flowers grow. More than dying. I was very nearly insane. Really. And in those last couple weeks of Winter before the 1-week "Spring" (that always ended with one last snowfall to smoosh the new flowers! Bummer...) and the start of Summer, I would play "Here Comes the Sun" (The Beatles, of course :)) over and over again. Can I explain how happy this song made me?!! The promise I felt from it?! Hehe. No. No, I can't. It complemented the anticipation perfectly, and made me feel like I wasn't weird for wanting the sun back from behind those clouds. "The smile's returning to the faces! It been so long since it's been here!" It's all right. :)

"The Best Summer of Our [my and Amy's :)] Lives" — Somebody Hates Me, Reel Big Fish. This song is THE most cathartic song in the history of catharsis! Put it on your playlist!

Having Seth — Crazy, Gnarls Barkley. In the hospital, Greg said something to me about this song, and I was like, oh, I haven't heard of that song. And he looked at me completely dumbfounded. "How have you managed to not hear Crazy?" On the way home from the hospital, with Seth in his car seat and Greg riding with us because he wanted to sit by his first little nephew, Crazy came on. And every time I was in the car with our new baby for probably the next 6 months, it came on some more. I hear it and feel like a brand-new mom all over again. :)

Dancing with Seth when he was small enough that I could do that — Better Together, Jack Johnson; Everything, Michael BublĂ©. I used to hold Seth and dance around the room. He loved it, and I burned calories, and it was really cute and fun. :) These were his two favorites—the ones he started dancing to on his own once he could pull himself up.

Seth's baby era — Sweet Escape, Gwen Stefani. Seth loved it! When he was 8 or 9 months old, he'd sing along to the "ooh-ooh" part, and wave his hands in the air almost like he knew how to groove. My mom had come to visit once and would sing it with him in the backseat, and it was their special little thing. When it comes on now, Seth still says, "this was my song I loved with grandma when I was a baby!"

More of Seth's baby era — De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, The Police. He was only four or five months old when we were shocked to hear him trying to sing along to this song. This tiny little voice in the backseat, "ooooo-oooo, aaaaaa-aaaaa," whenever the chorus came back on. One of my favorite little family moments ever. :) This song makes me feel like a tiny baby we're still getting to know is singing in the backseat again. :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

"Somebody Hates Me" is awesome. The other song that makes me think of that summer is "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne. HAHA! Also, isn't it funny how much we needed catharsis is a summer we refer to as the best of our lives?

Auburn said...

Hahaha! Yes, I've thought of that a lot. There was something glorious about needing so much catharsis! :)

Another song that always takes me back to then is "Adrienne," because I always see you in the passenger seat trying to make your voice do the weird thing his voice does when he says the "Ay-Ay-drienne" part. I was so shocked when you said a little while ago that you don't even remember that song! You're cemented to it in my mind. Hehe.