• People look terrible! The make-up is absolutely atrocious! The tv make-up people are gonna have to get with the program in this new HD world because, so far, everyone looks laughably ridiculous. Give me regular tv so I don't have to see foundation smudges everywhere! (Or ghastly eye makeup. Ugh.) I saw Brian Williams once with flakes in his eyebrows! That's just wrong.
• So far, Matt is the only person who agrees with me on this, so I realize I'm coming out of left field. But I just cannot follow what the heck is going on when I try to watch football in HD! The whole depth-of-field is totally wacky, making it really difficult for me to see where people are in relation to each other. I hate it. And I hate, too, how everything is in focus. I don't want to see the guy in Row 27 putting ketchup on his hotdog while I'm trying to keep track of where among the gazillion super-imposed players the ball is.... Depth-of-field, people. Everything in focus, while it may look brilliant and exciting ("I can't help it.... It's so beautiful...." :)), is annoying and impractical. No me gusta.
• Because everything can be in focus, certain programs are filling the entire frame with as many visual things as possible. Watching football this last week, the sports analysts would appear at their desk at halftime, and I wanted to have a seizure for all the junk everywhere. Digital images on the desk, in front of the desk, behind the desk, around the desk, down the walls.... And, again, depth-of-field.... The guys sitting at the desk were lost in this sea of HD nonsense. You couldn't even tell where exactly they were in relation to all the rest of it. It was jarring! Difficult to watch.... Again, give me regular tv, where the guys doing all the talking are the things in best focus, and the rest of it doesn't attract your attention.
I do love HD for nature shows! Gorgeous! That's about it, though. When I'm watching tv from dish or something, and can watch on 5-HD or 5.... I always think about it a second and start to be seduced by HD, but always end up preferring the non-HD channel. By a lot. Because (nature documentaries aside :)), HD stinks! The latest and greatest and most popular isn't always better....
3 comments:
That is so funny! I remember watching general conference on HD and noticing it did no favors for those speaking. We saw lot's of dandruff! And my kids had the job of drawing the patterns on the ties of the quorem when they saw them. Let's just say their pictures were a lot more detailed while watching HD, as opposed to our normal TV where the ties were just red or blue with dots.
lol, I guess when I'm watching everything on Hulu from my laptop I'll have to tell myself, "It could be worse. I could be watching this in HD!"
We don't subscribe to TV, so we don't watch it all that often....but when we are at Mom and Dad's, it IS scary! They have REALLY good makeup out there, I wonder why everyone still uses the orange stuff? Maybe its the fake tanner?
Post a Comment