So, the other day, I took a shower. (This is NOT the part you're supposed to imagine. Hahahaha!!) A really, really long shower, as I'm apt to take.... I laid on my spa pillow and soaked for, I don't know, 40 minutes probably. (Gasp! Water shortage! I know, I know.... But I have a shortage of non-aching joints and muscles!)
As I got out of the shower and toweled off, I went to close the shower door and saw, on the top of my spa pillow, playing King of the Mountain or something . . . a huge, ugly, crunchy . . . cockroach.
The antennae were probably 3 or 4 inches long. The body was wide and really fat, and at least two inches long. And the little bugger moved fast! And when he moved, his little feet made loud, creepy noises on the shower surface.
Now, the capture and kill story is enough to creep one out (I'm happy to report I didn't scream once :)), but what made this a harrowing experience is that the cockroach was hanging out in the shower, right by my head, the whole time! If that doesn't make you shudder your bones out, I don't know what will....
I was at least glad I didn't notice it until I was out of the shower. It's terrible to think I took an entire shower not knowing about this space-sharer, but that's better than laying there and feeling something strange on my cheek, or my neck, or in my hair.... AAAHHHHHH!!! And then going, "huh, that feels strange, what is th....... AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
[Shudder.]
[ShudderShudderShudderShudder]
Yikes.
Let's hope that was just a freak occurrence. You can bet I'll be checking out the shower a little more thoroughly from now on....
(Aren't you glad I didn't post a picture of the little bugger? :))
6 comments:
You're far better than me for not screaming. You would have heard me a mile away.
Roaches are one of my fears in life. I understand how you feel. I shuddered when reading this. And I also appreciate that you didn't post a photo. That one is gonna' haunt you for a bit. Shoot- it may haunt *me* for a bit!
That is bone-shuddering for sure. If it makes you feel any better, my research on huge cockroaches indicates that the big ones are not normally part of a pack, but hang solo. So it hopefully was just a freak occurrence.
Nice.... That's good to know. :)
In New Orleans if you see a big one it means it came in from outside and you only have one. You have to worry a lot more if you see a little roach because they are the ones that live inside and it means you probably have tons of them. Maybe I can send you a mouse to take care of it. ;-)
Also, we went for a little hike this morning with some friends and a bee stung their 5-year-old inside his shirt. We have no idea how it got there but he started screaming and his mom found the stinger and pulled it out, then he started screaming again, then I saw something just inside the neck of his shirt and so I pulled it down a bit and there was the bee. Or it might have been a different one because instead of dying after stinging him, it came after me. After a small sting on my arm it ended up in my hair. The point, of course, is that I can picture sitting peacefully in the bath and feeling something unusual in your hair. Ugh! It definitely makes you shudder. Especially when it's a roach!
I think roaches are the most disgusting creatures on the face of the planet. And honestly, I didn't even know they lived in San Diego.
Post a Comment