Monday, April 13

A Shocking Confession.

I have a deep, dark secret. It may spoil my reputation as a loving mother and child advocate forever. But I'm going to let it out anyway. I... hate... (and I mean hate) ... bathtime. [Boo! Boo!! Throw tomatoes on her!] I know, I know! Bathtime is supposed to be one of the joys of child care. But to me, all I experience is a back that wants to break—souring my good humor over things like tremendous splashes of bubbles everywhere. Is there any task more uncomfortable? Bending over a bathtub, scrubbing a kid...? Ugh. It kills me. I detest it. I've always hated it—and having my own cute kid did nothing to lighten my feelings. :) (Even though he IS really cute in the bath! I can appreciate with a little distance.... :))

Luckily for me, or maybe because of me, Seth has always loved the shower. I don't think we gave him a single bath as a baby (no cute pictures of a baby screaming in their little bathtub... darn :)). But, ah, shower time was so pleasant! He loved to just lay on someone's chest with the water on his back, and I would nap with him in the tub until the hot water ran out. Nice, too, that in the shower the poor baby never has to feel cold (though I realize some babies love the bath anyway...). I miss baby-shower time! (That was years ago now! Wow.... It'll be fun to have another one someday and do some of the fun baby stuff all over again.) Anyway, I was just thinking of this again when Seth was, unusually, asking for a bath today and I thought, HA! Not a chance.... Not until Dad gets home, at least. :)

3 comments:

sweetmama.heather said...

You're not alone! We don't like baths either, especially when more of the water ends up on the floor than in the tub. Hannah and Jaidyn are old enough to do showers and I love those too.

Rebecca said...

Heh, I don't love baths either. But Paela does and Wayne does, so there you go.

I haven't had a problem with the back-breaking part, since I'm just leaning from my sitting position on the ground next to the tub, but trying to convince everyone to keep water in the tub is another story.

Angela said...

I don't blame you. David's small enough that he can still fit in his little tub that sits in the sink so I don't have to bend over. That's not so bad and he really does love bathtime, but a couple of times I had to bathe him in the regular tub and felt like my back would break. He's growing so fast too I probably only have another month or so before he can't fit in the baby tub anymore (sigh).