These are my recurring dreams!

Big Wave Dream
I've been having this one since I was a little girl! It's actually very terrifying—some of the worst dreams I've ever had. It will always start out normally, but at some point I'll notice that a storm is building up (usually from the ocean but sometimes from a river, or a lake, or even a puddle...). As I try to find a way to get to someplace safe, a huge—and I mean HUGE, as in skyscraper tall—wave starts to build up. I always find some fence or something to cling to and I hold on for dear life, my back to the wave, not knowing exactly when it will crash, hoping I'll manage to keep holding on but knowing it's futile. I brace myself while this wave takes FOREVER to keep getting bigger and bigger. Is it going to crash...now? Now? NOW? The dream always ends right before the crash.... I've had this dream dozens and dozens of times! Never been able to figure out why....

Flying Dream
I put Mario on here because I'm pretty sure the way I can "fly" in my dreams is inspired by Mario Bros. 3. Ha ha! I sort of jump in the air, then keep pumping my legs to stay afloat. I can float up and up and up (to get stuff at the top of a Costco building for instance...hehe) or I can jump a great distance (like, over an entire city...) by pumping my legs at just the right moment. Ha! The funniest thing about this dream (another one I've had more times than I can count...) is that always, every single time, I question whether I can actually float like this or is this just a dream...? Because, you know Auburn, you keep telling yourself to remember that whenever you're flying it MUST be a dream—people can't really do this. But wait.... Is it real? I always debate it for about half the dream while reveling in my gift that no one else seems to have, and I always—ALWAYS!—come to the conclusion that . . . it just feels too natural for it not to be real! Hehe. I always conclude it's not a dream.

Almost Not Marrying Matt Dream
This dream started when Matt and I were dating and he left during Christmas break for a trip to Hawaii with his family—a trip where we wouldn't be able to contact each other. I had this vivid, real-feeling dream that for some reason that Matt didn't quite understand (I think his family somehow arranged it...), Matt got married to some random Hawaiian girl. He came back married and totally depressed—how had this happened? I was supposed to marry you! But, a man of his word, he was going to stay married even though he was totally miserable. Later, I went to give him some of his things back and the worst thing imaginable had happened: he had made peace with the situation and was enjoying married life! We talked for a few seconds like you'd talk to your mailman or something, and then he said good-bye and I left alone.... Alone forever...! Horrible, huh? Hehe. I had some variant of that dream a few more times before we got married. AFTER we got married, the dream changed to ME marrying someone else. It's always someone different—sometimes I actually know the person, sometimes I don't—and I'm always trying to pretend I'm happy when I'm actually totally horrified about getting married. I'll sit and think through it: "Why am I unhappy? Shouldn't marriage be fun? But I never want to be married—it's too scary! Wait.... I seem to remember a good friend.... It's coming to me.... Coming to me.... Matt! Wait! I'm MARRIED to Matt!" And then all my anxiety melts away and I realize I'm THRILLED about marriage. Hehe.

Forgetting to Go to Class and Now It's Too Late Dream
Sometimes I'm in college. Sometimes I had graduated from college but have to go BACK to high school to retake a class it turns out I had failed (talk about a nightmare!). Either way, I do NOT want to be in this class. It's usually an English class, but sometimes it's basic chemistry (as in, the stuff I learned in 7th grade...) or, rarely, an American History class. I get preoccupied with a variety of other things and decide, eh, I'm not going to go this week.... I'll make it up next week.... Over and over again...! Sometimes I'll show up to class but then I remember that I have seven or eight assignments that I haven't made up yet. I get totally anxious, red-faced and sweaty, and I sneak out of the class in shame, thinking I'll make them up right away and THEN go back to class without having to feel embarrassed. But then I put it off some more...! By the end of the dream I realize that the semester is nearly over and I never really went to class, and that there's no way to fix that situation. No teacher would ever be merciful enough.... So I give up and get depressed that I'll be stuck at BYU (or high school as an adult!) even longer.... Ugh.... And with a bad reputation, too.

I Can't Run or I Can't Talk (or Both...) Dreams
I'm trying to get somewhere. Fast. Or maybe someone is chasing me. And no matter how much energy I put into it, I just can't get anywhere! I feel like my legs weigh 4000 pounds! Sometimes I discover that if I run backwards I can make a little more progress—but I'm just so tired! And, if someone is chasing me, I'm so scared, too....
If someone IS chasing me and then inevitably catches me, or if I happen upon someone about to hurt someone else, or if someone is just plain being mean for the billionth time and I want to finally tell them off, it turns out that my throat is closing up and I can't get any words out. I try so hard! I swallow, breathe deeply, and try to speak slowly.... But I just keep suffocating on my own words. Sometimes these dreams seem to last all night long—me just trying to move or talk and never able to.
And then there's my most nightmarish dream: the I get shot or stabbed dream! Yikes! Always a different situation and, also, I'm never able to anticipate that I'm about to be shot or stabbed (not like the Big Wave Dream where I get a sense of impending doom before it happens...). It always totally shocks me when I feel the force just out of the blue. Once I was even shot by my best friend! Let's just say that, seriously, I feel like I know what it's like to be attacked and left to bleed to death. Ew. [shudder!] Matt thinks, when it comes to these, I have the worst dreams of anyone on the planet. Am I a disturbed soul? Hehe. And why all the recurring dreams? Can any one else relate...? :)
At least some of my recurring dreams are pretty funny. :) Any Freudians out there? Can you read my soul with these dreams of mine...?! That would be awesome! :)
4 comments:
I don't want to burst your bubble, or make you feel unspecial or anything, but I've had most of these dreams. I've had the big wave dream, but only once or twice. I've had many flying dreams...usually they're accompanied by a sense of impending doom...I'm flying...but I can't fly! When am I going to fall!?! I've never dreamed about marrying or not marrying Matt, which is great. But I have dreamed that I married (or was about to marry) someone I didn't want to marry. And oh boy, I've had the forgetting to go to class dreams. For me, they're always in high school, and almost always math class. At the end of the semester I'll remember I was supposed to be taking that class and totally freak out. But I've never had the not being able to run or breathe dream. So congrats! You're freaking in your own way on that one :).
Hey, you forgot my shooting and stabbing and bleeding to death with collapsing lungs dreams! Hehe. I hope you don't have those, too.... :)
I know the flying and missing class dreams are strangely universal (I DO think it's weird that I float rather than fly, though...). But you've had a big wave dream, too? Like, CRAZY big...? We must be kindred spirits or something! (What does it mean, Amy? Come on.... I'm begging for some analysis here. Hehe. ;))
I barely ever remember my dreams, but when I do- they feel real, to the extent that it alters my mood for the day! Crazy! Anyways- I have had wave dreams, too. Usually its me in a car driving where there is no water- like on the way to Las Vegas or something- then all the sudden, a HUGE wave builds. I have also had a dream where the huge wave crashed and I'm running and it almost catches up to me but never quite gets me and takes me under. Wave dreams are the only recurring dreams I have had as an adult.
As a kid...I had two recurring dreams. One, that I was skating in the park where we used to live when I was little (like 6 or 7 years old). And this man drives up in a beige station wagon and kidnaps me. No lie! It was always scary to me, since I was always skating in the park when I was little! The other one was that wild animals were trying to get into the house...like lions and rinos and tigers. Sometimes there would also be cavemen- like Tarzan or something, with the loincloth and everything! They would be outside all of the windows in the house just wanting to get in, but they never crashed through the glass or anything. I had those two dreams A LOT when i was little.
Auburn -
This is whitney... remember me? Clegg? Anyway...
Such a funny post. Can I say that the first three dreams you have, are about the exact "dreams/nightmares" that I have OFTEN. Although it isn't "Matt" that I am not about to marry it is Spence (did you think I was dreaming about Matt? :) ). I have this dream where Spencer is not only not marrying me, he already has married me then decides he doesn't "like it" and takes off with some African woman (he went to Africa on his mission - go figure!?).
Anyway I had a good laugh while reading this post.
How are you, what are you up to and where are you living... maybe I should just read your blog and I will have all those answers. Hope you are well.
Post a Comment