Wednesday, July 23

What's with the Maternity Clothes...?

I recently went shopping looking for a simple, cute, white shirt.... And all I could find were maternity clothes! I went everywhere. For days...! I tortured myself! But it was just one white maternity shirt after another.... No, they weren't actually labeled "maternity," but that doesn't change the fact that they were, indeed, full-on, no doubt about it, fitted on top and huge in the front maternity tops. The kind that make you say, "oh, look, a pregnant lady." (Except that with so many not-pregnant people wearing maternity clothes, the line might be more like, "oh, look, a...pregnant lady...? Maybe...?" :)) I felt conspicuous enough when I actually WAS pregnant—I just can't bring myself to wear maternity clothes when I'm not.

But I'm in need of new clothes, people! I wish I had better shopping stamina—the kind that wouldn't make me want to die looking through 400 racks at 20 stores for whatever might be there that isn't ridiculous. But I really, really don't. If I think I might find what I want in fewer than 20 stores and 400 racks, I sometimes look forward to and enjoy a little shopping (especially to look for things to decorate with...). But just going shopping to "browse" is not my idea of a good time. It's not even in the same universe as a good time. And going shopping to hunt down the two cute non-maternity tops currently for sale somewhere in Horton Plaza...? At least two or three universes away.... So how to solve my major lack-of-clothing crisis...?! Sigh. I'm stuck, I guess. Stuck until we get through this trend of everyone looking pregnant. Hehe. I just can't go there.

In other wardrobe-related news, my feet were cold just now and I went to get socks out of my "sock drawer." I stood in the middle of my room in a little stupor—aimlessly—and realized . . . I didn't know where my sock drawer was or even if I had one at all! Ha ha! Beautiful. After a bit of searching it turns out that I do have a sock drawer—but I love, LOVE that I hadn't opened it in the two months since we moved. I remember calling my parents from BYU in about, oh, October of my freshman year: "Uh, mom and dad.... It's starting to get cold and I just discovered that I only have one long-sleeved shirt and no socks." Ha ha ha! That was a funny discovery to make. (Not funny to have since become well-stocked in such things—part of my wardrobe crisis has to do with the fact that 90% of my cute tops are sweater-y—but not wearing socks for two months is a fun step in the right direction! :)) My parents were amused enough to make a trip out to see me, just to buy Winter clothes. :) Which is actually the trip when Matt and my parents met for the first time, so that's kind of fun.... Almost ten years ago! Wow. Ten years of me and Matt. And ten years (minus our one paradise year in San Diego before med school :)) of accumulating socks and sweaters. Hehe. That's a long time. :)

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hehe. I'm actually quite grateful for the wide selection of shirts to pick from lately. And it's so nice of all the nonpregnant women to dress as though they are so that I don't feel so conspicuous.