Thursday, July 24

Food!

I didn't get enough to eat this morning, so I'm dreaming about restaurants I'd like to go to today! Our favorite finds are always small non-chain restaurants, and usually a foreign cuisine (though I do love a good hamburger every now and then! :)). I haven't branched out quite enough yet, but here's the top ten list of my favorite cuisines so far:

#10: English
Ha ha! I know what you're thinking. Is this some kind of joke? Boiled potatoes, boiled meat, and boiled brussel sprouts at nearly every meal...? Greasy, vinegary fried cod...? It's true that the English dinner suffers immensely. But it might be worth it for dessert! They pour incredibly fatty, yummy, amazing custard (more saucy than we usually have custard here...) on everything. It's killer. Way, WAY better than plopping a scoop of ice cream on pie or something....

#9: Vietnamese
I haven't had too much Vietnamese (usually Thai is served at the same restaurant and I can't resist...) but it's been yummy. Even the fish sauce was tasty until I knew how they make it! Hehe.

#8: Greek/Mediterranean
By that I mean: anything involving hummus and kalamata olives. YUM! (I pass on lamb, though.... Ick.)

#7: Korean
I doubt I'll ever try kimchi again and as much as I want to, I just don't love seafood yet. But when we went to Korea last year, Matt was very skilled at getting food I could fall in love with. It was one of the highlights of the trip! Very, very yummy. The thing they call "Sesame Leaf" (it's really some kind of mint leaf) is TO DIE FOR. Yum!! Next time you're tempted to eat lettuce wraps, I highly recommend finding a Korean market and buying sesame leaves instead. It's one of my favorite treats now....

#6: Italian
Starchy carbs and cheese are always highly, highly satisfying to me. :)

#5: Korean Chinese
Matt has always said that, even though he LOVES Korean food, it's not the Korean food he misses from Korea. What he really misses is Korean Chinese food—because, he says, you can find good Korean restaurants in the U.S. (even Pusan restaurants among all the Seoul stuff...) but what you never see are Korean-owned Chinese restaurants. I couldn't even begin to appreciate what he meant until we went to Korea. The Chinese food there is AMAZING! Not a bit of grease, somehow. Not ever! We couldn't get enough sweet and sour, but everything we tried was amazing. It spoiled me on other Chinese food for forever—now it all seems way too wet and oily and soggy! If anyone ever hears of a Korean-owned Chinese restaurant, let me know! Will travel for Korean Chinese.... :)

#4: Indian
Coconut milk, basmati rice, yogurt, mangoes, golden raisins, yummy breads, fennel, cashews.... Need I say more?

#3: French
By this I mean it's a fancy schmancy restaurant (all the fancy restaurants seem to be French-inspired...) and multiple spices and cheeses are involved. I used to be a gross under-spicer, but now I know better. :) Flavor is yummy! So is cheese. Mmmm....

#2: Thai
I'm more than willing to endure the world's spiciest cuisine to load up on coconut milk, bamboo shoots, jasmine rice (YUM!), peanut sauce, mangoes, and peppers. I could eat Thai food every day! And even when it's too spicy, they at least have good-flavored spice—much better peppers than in other spicy cuisines. We just found a great Thai restaurant here in San Diego so we're happy campers. :)

#1: Mexican
Boring, I know, but I can't help it! The whole carbs and cheese thing again—so satisfying! I'm crazy about Mexican food! We are picky about it, though. We search high and low for good taco shops—the tortillas need to be just right, and the beans flavored well, the meat not too greasy, and the guacamole fresh.... And, shockingly, neither of us is a fan of cumin, so that obviously kills many a taco shop. When we find our taco shop, though, it's always our favorite haunt. We also get excited when a restaurant has killer horchata! Mmmm.... This is making me very hungry.... I should have had some tacos for breakfast. Hehe.

Are we missing out on another awesome cuisine out there...?

No comments: