Thursday, June 26

The Water Bill

There are a lot of things to complain about when you have a sunburn. For me, the absolute worst is that it actually turns a hot shower—that most glorious of luxuries!—into a harrowing experience you'd like to avoid. You either end up in horrible pain with a hot shower, taking a cold shower (likewise in horrible pain), or with greasy hair from taking no shower (putting others in pain :)). It stinks!

This has turned my world particularly upside-down this week since, honestly, I'm a shower-loving FIEND. Hehe. Even though I've always taken a morning shower, I can hardly ever resist taking another one at night. Usually, one of the two showers is long enough that I only got out because the hot water was gone. When I was pregnant, Matt even bought a dual shower-head for me, and a collection of bath mats and pillows (and turned the water heater up all the way so it would last longer...). I used to set up a little bed in our oval bathtub, pull one of the shower-heads down low, and rest in the shower for what felt like forever. It was about the only time I didn't have to feel gross from having so many contractions. When I had food poisoning so badly a few years ago, I would only stay out of my shower-bed long enough for the hot water to come back. I think I puked 35 times that day (I lost 10 pounds in about 14 hours!), but survived thanks to somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 hour-long showers. I could spend my whole life in a shower. Hehe. They're very therapeutic! 

The problem with my shower obsession is that, for the first time in our lives, we have to pay for our water. Other places we've lived had a home owner's association or property managers who were responsible for water. Now we're in a grown-up enough place to, grrrr..., have our own water meter. Are you kidding me? To make matters WORSE, our shower ROCKS!! The water pressure is amazing! I try so hard to force myself to turn the water pressure down, but I just can't.... It's too fantastic. Then I try to tell myself I don't need a second shower in the evening, but I'm pretty sure that I do. Hehe. I'm also pretty sure that my shower-loving could put us in the poorhouse. (Actually, I have no idea, since we haven't gotten a water bill yet. :))

At least there's this sunburn. It ruins the day, but could save the water bill. We'll see.... :)

4 comments:

Whit said...

Auburn -
This is Whitney... (Clegg)? I am so Happy to find you, I was wondering how you have been. Your boy is adorable.

I don't blame you about the showers, I have to try (all my might) to not have two showers a day... try is the key word.

Tera said...

I hear you about the sunburn and showers. I just got a little doozy of a burn yesterday at the pool (all those spots that my sunscreened hands couldn't quite reach).
-Tera (Sorensen) Dick

Kristin Lynne said...

We all know I don't have a perfect record when it comes to showering . . . mostly I hate the idea of having to take the time to DO something with my hair, etc so the though of showering is less than pleasant for me . . . but since we have been paying for our water for the last several years, I've managed to convince John that long showers are wasteful and expensive AND kill the grass in the front yard - who ever heard of such a stupid thing as growing grass in Utah? Hello, don't you know we live in a DESERT???

Holly said...

Perhaps you could reallocate the money you previously spent on insurance to fund your showering?