And if you're afraid of signing up for one, like I always was when they asked "would you like to sign up today?," let me share my newfound wisdom and assuage your fears!
Fear #1: It's complicated to sign up.
When you are checking out at Target, you tell you the cashier you want a debit card. You hand them a blank check. They scan things, have you verify your address, etc., and you're set up! Online, you can get additional cards for household members.
Fear #2: I'd probably rather use my credit card because I like my AmEx rewards.
Every time you shop, in the store or online, 5% is automatically deducted from your total. Nice! 5% isn't the world's best discount, but it's WAY better than a credit card reward (which is typically 1%).
Fear #3: I don't want an additional line of credit.
This... [trumpets herald great news] is not a line of credit. It is just a link to your checking account. Every time you swipe your debit card, the money comes straight out of checking as if you used your debit card or a check. I repeat: not a line of credit! Just a link to your checking account! Very cool.
Reasons I want to shout from the rooftops that this card is the greatest:
#1: You can use it online! (Great for personal AND gift shopping!) When you shop on Target.com, you always get the 5% discount. PLUS whatever online deals they have (which are frequent). PLUS [here come the trumpets again] FREE SHIPPING!! Plus!! You can return virtually anything to the store. And you don't even need a receipt. For any return—whether you purchased it in the store or online—all they do is scan the item, swipe your debit card, and voila. Returned. Money back in your checking account (or cash in your hand). Couldn't be easier. I have done more and more shopping online since I've had this card—searching out clearance toys and kids' clothes, sales on rugs, furniture, shoes, etc. If I don't like it when it comes, just a simple return to the store. And the shipping was free! And I never had to go shopping! And I got 5% off!
#2: You can (and, by all means, should!) link your card to a school of choice, and for every purchase you make, Target will make a donation to your school. I first got all the information and bit the bullet for this card when Seth's school's PTA encouraged everyone to have one. His elementary school has made thousands and thousands of dollars from families using the REDCard. This is a win-win! (And if you have no school you want to donate to, try Holmes Elementary in San Diego. ;-))
#3: We've always loved Target's pharmacy above all others. They are always super fast and super easy. Their bottles are nicer than others. They add good flavors to kids' syrups and have a nifty bottle—you stick the syringe snugly in the top, turn the bottle upside down, and measure out the medicine. It's great. They also color-code all the medications you receive—a different color for every member of your household. And they send you email alerts when you have a refill waiting. Best pharmacy ever! Now with the debit card, we get an additional little bonus: for every 5 prescriptions we fill at Target, paying with our REDCard, we get a coupon that gives us an additional 5% off (plus the existing 5% for a total of 10%) for one day of shopping.
#4: Ooh, this is a good one.... Since I've had the REDcard, I have not . . . shopped at Walmart. ;-)
Next time you're in Target, take a blank check with you and spend an extra minute or two at the register signing up for one of these cards. You won't regret it.

2 comments:
Oh we have been redcard holdouts. I just haven't been sure I want to trust yet another corporate security system with my bank info, for fear of hackers. Plus, the nearest Target is 20 minutes further than Meijer, and Meijer isn't a bad alternative anyway. Maybe next move. :-)
okay- you've convinced me! nearly EVERY time we shop there we think out loud to each other, after telling the checker 'no' due to the irrational fears you have outlined, that we really need to get one and we say maybe next time. yeah, that never happens. and it seems we cant escape a target trip without spending at least 80 bucks now days (okay, more like 120, but whos really keeping track?). we realllllly need to get one! also, i watched a very interesting documentary on target not too long ago- and the woman who designed the pharmacy medication bottles won a huge award for them. maybe we should switch our pharmacy, too...
Post a Comment