Almost exactly one year ago (4/10/10) I started to write this blog post. I guess I didn't publish it because I thought people would misunderstand me as a ... murmurer. Oooh. I can see the stone-casting now! "Murmurer! Murmurer!!" Haha! But after the day I had yesterday—Easter Sunday!—I remembered my little song, found it amongst my gazillions of unpublished drafts, and decided I couldn't wait to share it with the world. Here's what I had written last year:
In my church, there's a cute little kid song about Saturday—all about how it's a special day to get ready for Sunday. Remember being in college (I hardly do! That was a decade ago now!) and watching the clock tick away on Sunday night . . . ? The knot of dread in your stomach just getting tighter and tighter . . . .
In my church, there's a cute little kid song about Saturday—all about how it's a special day to get ready for Sunday. Remember being in college (I hardly do! That was a decade ago now!) and watching the clock tick away on Sunday night . . . ? The knot of dread in your stomach just getting tighter and tighter . . . .
It's almost Monday.
Oh no, it's getting closer!
Ah, see.... I feel that still. But on a different day. And I've rewritten the Saturday song to pay homage to the most depressing night of my week. :)
Ahem. [cue best singing voice]
Saturday is a terrible day
It's the day I wish weren't almost Sunday....
I go to bed. And I set my alarm. [AHH!!] And I dream about skipping the whole day.
I think about meetings. And meetings.... And meetings.
And I wish I could just have a sleeeeeep day!
Then I fend off the tears and hope to not hear [my alarm, that is]
And really look forward to Monnnn-day!
Like it? :-)
I have to say that I do find it more than a little bit ironic that I consider Monday through Saturday my six days of rest compared to Sunday. Haha! Oh man.... Sundays....
So I don't really have to set my alarm anymore (thank goodness!), since we have church at the blessed hour of 1:00. (Yes, we love late church! Yes, it seems to take up the whole day. Yes, we love that. Lazy peaceful morning, go to church, lazy peaceful dinner and the day is done. We dread the years of 9:00 church. With fear and loathing...!) Last year my meetings started at 7:00 am! Boo. This year is much better. But here is how my day went yesterday. On Easter Sunday, mind you. Easter Sunday! I mean, come on people, this is a family day!
9:00 am—Seth wakes up and comes into our room. "Mom! Dad! You've got to see this! Something amazing!" Haha! Love it.
We go out and enjoy Easter baskets and such. Make some breakfast. Fun times, fun times.
Then, I was off!
10:45 am—Leave for church. Strategizing with Matt about Maren's feeding schedule....
11:00 am—Meeting. On Easter Sunday? Yes.
12:05 pm—Meeting ends. I rush over to the chapel to practice with the choir who were in desperate need of a pianist today. Thank my lucky stars that they managed to find an organist for sacrament meeting, or that would have been me! Oh man. That would have been crazy.
12:40—Texting Matt, realizing I'm not getting any spare time to get home before church like I had hoped.
12:45—Choir practice ends. People beg me to play prelude on the organ since the organist isn't there yet. "My baby is on her way starving and needs to be nursed, I'm so sorry!" I incite panic attacks in old ladies. I feel very bad about this.
12:50—Family shows up. I nurse Maren, glad that Matt got there early enough that I could be sure to have myself put back together before I have to run up and play the piano.
1:00—Church starts. In the next hour or so, I go up to play the piano three or four times. Up, down, up down. Each time, I wonder if I had actually put my clothes back in the right places after nursing Maren. I'm sure lots of you moms can relate! :)
2:00—I realize that I'm going to have to do Sharing Time (two 15-minute lessons) in primary (the kids' two hours of sunday school) at the last minute. Don't have anything prepared.
2:20—Go to primary. One of my counselors (the two ladies who run the primary with me) is home with sick kids. The other has hurt her back and needs to sit. Send the secretary to check on all the classes to make sure we have teachers, and I run the whole meeting by myself. Still not sure what I'll do for Sharing Time.... This goes until 4:00 pm.
4:00 pm—Church is over, and now a million people want to talk with me, addressing various issues in cub scouts and primary, kid issues, etc. I'm always grateful to hear from people. I just feel a little nutso trying to keep track of who all is trying to get my attention, where my stuff is while the missionaries are taking apart the room for a baptism, where Seth is and what Matt's plan is, is everything getting back in the closet and to the library, etc., etc.
4:30 pm—I stay behind for a kid's baptism (sweetest boy ever!) while Matt takes kids home. Coordinating feeding times again.... :-)
5:15 pm—I leave the building! To go have Easter Dinner with my family! Who I've really gotten to enjoy today. [Sarcasm intended.] I realize my wicked headache and body aches are partially because I never had time to get a drink all day and I'm disastrously dehydrated! Also, starting to get sick!
Oh, Saturday! I love my song for you. :-)
And, oh Monday! Monday, Monday!!! "Rainy days and Mondays...." The BEST!!! :-D
I feel another song rewrite coming on.... ;-)
So I don't really have to set my alarm anymore (thank goodness!), since we have church at the blessed hour of 1:00. (Yes, we love late church! Yes, it seems to take up the whole day. Yes, we love that. Lazy peaceful morning, go to church, lazy peaceful dinner and the day is done. We dread the years of 9:00 church. With fear and loathing...!) Last year my meetings started at 7:00 am! Boo. This year is much better. But here is how my day went yesterday. On Easter Sunday, mind you. Easter Sunday! I mean, come on people, this is a family day!
9:00 am—Seth wakes up and comes into our room. "Mom! Dad! You've got to see this! Something amazing!" Haha! Love it.
We go out and enjoy Easter baskets and such. Make some breakfast. Fun times, fun times.
Then, I was off!
10:45 am—Leave for church. Strategizing with Matt about Maren's feeding schedule....
11:00 am—Meeting. On Easter Sunday? Yes.
12:05 pm—Meeting ends. I rush over to the chapel to practice with the choir who were in desperate need of a pianist today. Thank my lucky stars that they managed to find an organist for sacrament meeting, or that would have been me! Oh man. That would have been crazy.
12:40—Texting Matt, realizing I'm not getting any spare time to get home before church like I had hoped.
12:45—Choir practice ends. People beg me to play prelude on the organ since the organist isn't there yet. "My baby is on her way starving and needs to be nursed, I'm so sorry!" I incite panic attacks in old ladies. I feel very bad about this.
12:50—Family shows up. I nurse Maren, glad that Matt got there early enough that I could be sure to have myself put back together before I have to run up and play the piano.
1:00—Church starts. In the next hour or so, I go up to play the piano three or four times. Up, down, up down. Each time, I wonder if I had actually put my clothes back in the right places after nursing Maren. I'm sure lots of you moms can relate! :)
2:00—I realize that I'm going to have to do Sharing Time (two 15-minute lessons) in primary (the kids' two hours of sunday school) at the last minute. Don't have anything prepared.
2:20—Go to primary. One of my counselors (the two ladies who run the primary with me) is home with sick kids. The other has hurt her back and needs to sit. Send the secretary to check on all the classes to make sure we have teachers, and I run the whole meeting by myself. Still not sure what I'll do for Sharing Time.... This goes until 4:00 pm.
4:00 pm—Church is over, and now a million people want to talk with me, addressing various issues in cub scouts and primary, kid issues, etc. I'm always grateful to hear from people. I just feel a little nutso trying to keep track of who all is trying to get my attention, where my stuff is while the missionaries are taking apart the room for a baptism, where Seth is and what Matt's plan is, is everything getting back in the closet and to the library, etc., etc.
4:30 pm—I stay behind for a kid's baptism (sweetest boy ever!) while Matt takes kids home. Coordinating feeding times again.... :-)
5:15 pm—I leave the building! To go have Easter Dinner with my family! Who I've really gotten to enjoy today. [Sarcasm intended.] I realize my wicked headache and body aches are partially because I never had time to get a drink all day and I'm disastrously dehydrated! Also, starting to get sick!
Oh, Saturday! I love my song for you. :-)
And, oh Monday! Monday, Monday!!! "Rainy days and Mondays...." The BEST!!! :-D
I feel another song rewrite coming on.... ;-)
3 comments:
So when Jeff first got called as EQP about 10 years ago they had meetings on Easter Sunday and then the meetings went longer than they were supposed to. By the time he got home I was furious that he had been gone so long and we didn't have time to do the things we had planned for Easter morning. So naturally I ruined the rest of the day by being mad. But we learned that no matter what the bishop says, for our family there are no meetings on Easter. Or Mothers/Fathers Day, birthdays, anniversaries, or the week of Christmas. It seems like that should be obvious, but apparently it isn't always. Our bishop did figure it out by the next Easter, but if it ever comes up again we'll be ready.
The thing I can't figure out is why anybody schedules meetings on Easter. Honestly, it seems to me that Easter should be even more obvious than Christmas. If Easter didn't happen, Christmas wouldn't matter. Shouldn't it be a no-brainer that you leave as much family time as possible on Easter? I really don't get that.
Hope you enjoyed your Monday!
that is such a true story. Excellent view and retelling! Thank you for sharing! Some days are just so long. I miss primary so much!!! Although I don't miss being a presidency with all those extra Sunday meetings ;)
Hope you enjoyed some time Sunday night. And I do also hope for another verse in your song.
PS: we always do our egg hunt on Saturday for this very reason (among others). Which this year meant squeezing it in before soccer, a baptism and after I got home from working all night. Isn't life fun? hee hee.
Post a Comment