Friday, September 24
Pearls of Wisdom
Long before there was "What To Expect When You're Expecting" there was another primer on all things pregnancy: "Expectant Motherhood." An indispensable guide! It was written by Dr. Nicholson J. Eastman, M.D., the Obstetrician-in-Chief to the esteemed Johns Hopkins Hospital.
I know this because my mom likes to buy us awesome antique books. :)
This book was first published in 1940. I have the Second Edition, which was published in 1947 offering more modern advice (my copy is a 1949 reprint). I have no idea how long this book was a standard. But it's hilarious. Hahahahaha!!!
I'm not sure what's funnier: the medicine, or the social commentary! Let's just say I have an even greater appreciation now for booming research and also for women's lib. ;-)
(Although, to give this guy, his society and his field credit, I'm sometimes even more surprised with how progressive some of it is. I'm curious how this 1949 version might be different from the 1940 version—the War changed so many things for American culture and for medicine.)
I give you some gems! And I'm sure there are enough to keep them coming for the next little while. Enjoy!!
"Today, thanks to the studies of two German doctors, Aschheim and Zondek, we have at last a sound and trustworthy test for pregnancy and interestingly enough it is performed, like the tests of old, on urine. In carrying out the test a small quantity of morning urine is..."
Can you complete the sentence?
He's just spent several pages talking about how difficult it is to diagnose pregnancy (a problem which is actually kind of interesting to imagine!), but now.... Now! Finally! A simple, easy test!! The small quantity of morning urine is...?
"...injected into a mouse or rabbit."
Of course!
"If the urine comes from a pregnant woman, definite and characteristic changes are produced in the ovaries of the animal within 48 or 72 hours; if the person is not pregnant no alterations whatsoever occur. This test is accurate in about 95% of cases."
:)
Even awesomer!:
"The skeleton of the growing baby is usually demonstrable in X-ray pictures of the mother's abdomen from the beginning of the fifth month and when thus seen is, of course, absolute positive proof of pregnancy."
Ah. Yes. So now we know what the deal is with those Baby Boomers.... ;-)
Actually, it at least goes on to say that visualization is rarely possible before 14 weeks (today's 16), so it's not that useful and is rarely used. Whew!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment