Sunday, August 8

Another goodie!

Seth's prayer last night:

Heavenly Father

Thank You for our things ("our hings")

I would really appreciate it ("hur-preesh-iate it") if You would come to our house to visit

Really soon

And

I'm showing You I keep my deals

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


I love that Seth doesn't say the same things all the time. :) And that He frequently tells God "I'd really hurpreeshiate it if . . . ." :-D You know, things like coming over for a visit. He's not a mimicker, that's for sure. Haha! (Or do I sometimes pray like that? Heavenly Father, we'd really appreciate it if Seth could get some help with his scratching so he doesn't die soon. But if he does die soon, help him be happy to live with Thee again. :))

(Showing he can keep his deals is a conversation I'd had with him the other night about why it would be a good idea to go to sleep after he had made a deal with dad for extra Legos time. ;))

The best prayer of the year was in Church a few months ago. Seth's prayers have been impressively context-specific. For probably a full year, every time he prayed at home he would start with: "Heavenly Father, please help us to have a baay-bee. Thank you for...." So when he'd volunteer in nursery at church to say the prayer for the snack, I'd brace myself for a funny situation (I worked in nursery with some other adults). But, dozens of times, he prayed only for things relevant to the nursery class, never for help having a baby. Whew!

Then he graduates to the big-kid "Primary" and I heard him pray in class a few times. It was always context-specific still—so when it was his turn to pray up at the microphone on behalf of all the kids (and bunches of teachers!) in Primary, and I was not telling anyone I was pregnant, I trusted everything would be fine.

First thing out of his mouth! In the microphone! Completely discernable!:

Heavenly Father
Thank you for our baay-bee
Please help our baby to grow

Ohhhh boy! Hahaha!
Then he goes on and on with the sweetest prayer ever:

Thank you for our moms
Thank you for our dads
Thank you for all the pretty flowers
and Thank you for the beautiful sky ("kighhh...")
Thank you for our hings
Thank you we can all be friends
Thank you that we can do hings
Thank you we can have our moms and dads

He had a few more, I just can't remember now. But do you think the cuteness and lengthiness made anyone forget that first part? Haha!

As soon as he says Amen, the chorister sitting behind me goes: "Aw! That was the sweetest prayer EVER!" And the pianist blurts out: "Cat's out of the bag! I hope you were ready!" And all the teachers and everyone else just sit there grinning at me with the funniest looks. It was hilarious. Not a bad way to tell everyone, though.... :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's so funny! And awesome. Oh man, I love that kid.

maxfamclan said...

He is a very perceptive child! Putting appropriate content in his prayers is amazing! good work.

And as for the "announcement" you couldn't have planned a better way! Very, very perfect.