Seth and I go to the San Diego Zoo a few times a week—it's close by, it's gorgeous, it's safe and fun, it has a free SkyTram ride with an amazing view, and it's a killer place to get some exercise (the hilliness is insane!). Plus.... It's gorgeous. :) Of all the things I love about the Zoo, though, I think there's one thing that stands out as the most fun:
The monkeys.
Obviously, by that I mean: the people watching the monkeys. Haha! I just love it! People ooh and aahh over lots of animals (and the enclosures at the San Diego Zoo are pretty awesome...), but everyone goes downright wacky over monkeys. The other day we were watching the gorillas from a little secluded part of the enclosure, and from the opposite end kept hearing roaring, hysterical laughter from a crowd of dozens who had gathered in front of the glass. It would be quiet for only a few moments at a time, and then..."HAAAHHHHHHH!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! WWWWAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAA!!"
I'm telling you.... It was hilarious! People-turned-monkeys watching monkeys (or gorillas... :)). There we were all by ourselves, and I'm laughing my head off at the crowd—it was impossible not to. We finally went over to see what all the excitement was about, and the baby gorilla was dancing for everyone—interrupting himself sometimes to go chase down an adult and try to climb all over them before they pummeled him back to the ground like he was a total pest.
The gibbons, the orangutans, all those monkeys with the long arms.... You know where to find them because you hear people laughing together hysterically. And when you see them, it's a whole lot of shiny, happy people pressed against the glass. :) There's just something so intoxicating about these cute, little, smart, hairy things who can swing from trees like we only wish we could, but who otherwise seem so much like...us....
People are lying if they say the monkeys aren't their favorite! Everyone's in love with monkeys. :)
4 comments:
When we go to the zoo I often find an excuse not to go in the primate house. Jeff takes the kids in while I sit on a bench and feed the baby or some other thing. I don't mind the way they look, but I have a huge problem with the smell. (For the record, often finding an excuse for the primate house is very reasonable compared to ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL finding a way to avoid the reptile house. When Peter went to the zoo with his preschool he came home and announced that they had added a new section to the zoo called the rectile house. It wasn't new, but I never, ever, ever go in there.)
Ah! You need to come to the San Diego Zoo, then! All the primates (acres of them, I bet) are outdoors. No smell. (And with awesome waterfalls in their habitats, cool trees....) Smell is no good, though. I'm with ya. (Why I never watch the flamingos....) I think all the good outdoors stuff makes the animals goofier, too. After being a member at the Denver Zoo for a few years, I thought orangutans were just perpetually depressed-looking. Now I'm convinced they were actually depressed! The oragutans here are the goofiest species on the planet--ALWAYS playing. Same with the gorillas--they didn't look depressed in Denver, but I thought they were pretty mellow and sedate. Yeah right! (Kind of sad, actually.... Do the Denver primates need rescue? I'll save you, monkeys!!!! :)) Anyway, minus the smell, and plus the happiness (and waterfalls), the monkeys are killer fun. :)
I can't help you with the reptile house, though.... ;)
Yay for monkeys! My favorite part of a good zoo. But, yes, they need a good enclosure. Sad orangutans are so sad. My favorite (having not made it to the San Diego zoo) was the gibbons in Portland. So happy! Whooping like crazy to each other and swinging all over the place. What fun.
I don't like monkeys: one bit me once :)
Post a Comment