[To all who enjoyed this post (hehe): as always I must refine my statement. Instances in which holding an elevator is perfectly reasonable: when the doors haven't started to close yet and simply holding the doors so they don't start to close will facilitate getting on; when someone has a kid tearing their hair out and you know waiting for another elevator will cause the mother's poor death; when someone has clearly been running to the building in a state of urgency; when someone is in hard labor trying to get to their epidural upstairs (hehe); um...that's all. :) Instances in which it is ridiculous: all of what I mentioned below, including the scenario where the doors are already closing as you come on the scene. Waiting outside for an elevator? Reasonable. Expected. Waiting inside a box while people keep showing up and slamming the door back open...? Abuse!]
That photo comes courtesy of Vanessa Preziose, by the way. Apparently.... :)And now for a little venting about a pet peeve: when you get in an elevator, and the doors are closing, and someone runs up either motioning for you to open the doors or, even worse, slams into the button or rams their arm through the door to make sure they get on!
:-|
What the heck is that? First of all, they should be embarrassed to act so desperate about something like a stupid elevator. Second of all, the people on the elevator (even if they're making fun of you like the very nice people in the great picture :)) don't deserve to have to wait extra—in a box–so lame-guy (not in the box) doesn't have to wait at all. They already sat and waited for the elevator to come...! So calm down and wait your turn! The worst is when this happens more than once.... Ugh. Doors opening, closing, opening, closing—almost closed! Nope, opening again. Argh!! Will they never close?! This is especially bad when someone runs up like a maniac and then asks for floor 2. Seriously? You made a fool of yourself getting in, and subjected us to the drudgery of the open-close-open-close game [I don't mean open-close while ascending the floors—I mean the open-close game waiting to just finally get going!]—for floor two? And you're not weeping with shame?
And floor two or not, you couldn't wait an extra 30 seconds for the elevator you don't have to inconvenience people for...? Why ever not? You don't care that they're all stuck in a box? You should cry for yourself and your lameness. Oh, the shame! :)
Sometimes . . . . Hehehehehe . . . . When I'm feeling particularly evil . . . . [This story is why fate—or the gods, or whatever—killed this post, I'm convinced.... Haha!] When I see someone looking at me like, "oh, the elevator is almost closed, I don't want to wait, open the door! Open the door!!," I actually make a startled, "oh!" face, and rush for the buttons to, you know, "push the open-door button." [wink, wink] But really.... I don't. HAHAHAHA!! So sinister. Muwahahahaha!! But maybe seeing someone appear to try to pop an almost-closed door open only to get shut in a box a second time for twice as long, all so they don't have to stand in the open air another few moments—someone willing to be that stinking nice over something so unreasonable—helps them through their awful 10-second wait for the next-door elevator. Hehe. (And, really I was thinking.... Come on! You're making a fool of yourself!)
It always amuses me when I approach an elevator that is closing and the people inside all look at me like, "I suppose you want to get on somehow...," and instead we just wait for the doors to close. (I never, ever, NEVER ask people to hold an elevator for me. In fact, when they do it of their own volition, I'm a little disappointed in the inefficiency. Hehe.) I can tell, somewhere inside, they're all thinking: oh, wow—that unusual display totally made my day!! ;) Hehe. Ah, yes, manners: they're even more satisfying than being evil . . . . ;)
1 comment:
That's never bothered me for some reason. Unless the elevator's full or the person's too far away I usually voluntarily hold it for them just to be nice. Being in an elevator doesn't bother me though.
Post a Comment