Monday, July 20

To quote an excellent film:

I saw a reference to a famous poem today, and that quote ran through my head. The poem is one you all know: The Road Less Traveled, by Robert Frost.

Oh, no wait, scratch that. Hehe.

Most people would like it to be about the road less traveled. But did you know it's actually called "The Road Not Taken"? :) (Whoa! How's that for throwing the supposed meaning of the poem on its head? Ha ha!) And that the one thing it for sure is NOT saying is that the speaker "took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." A nice thought, I guess. But, haha!, Robert Frost would either roll over in his grave or have a really good laugh that it's the phrase everyone remembers and uses to back up their "take the road less traveled!" motivational speeches. Personally, I think he'd laugh! After all, his poem has done wonders to prove he was right that this is what everyone really does say to themselves! "And I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference!" Hahaha! Totally amusing. It makes me laugh for sure, and I'm not even the one who had thought about this enough to go and write a poem about it. Robert Frost must be having a good laugh. The poem is totally calling people out—and then we all use this very poem, completely incorrectly, to validate his point! Totally oblivious that a joke is on us! HA HA HA!

Anyway, read it again. It's a great poem. :) And, common misperception aside, it doesn't actually make me laugh, but rather think. And sigh. :) I love it, I love it, I love it.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments: