Thursday, July 30

I do not think it's from what you think it's from. :)

So, to anyone who saw my original post about The Road Not Taken, and then saw our addition of the movie clip, I hope you appreciated the irony! Haha! (I originally claimed the quote was from The Three Amigos! I thought it was part of the "plethora" conversation. I should have known, since I actually liked the line, that it was from elsewhere. By the way, Matt and his family enjoy really silly movies.... [Like Three Amigos.])

Matt is highly disappointed that no one wrote in to malign me for daring to strip The Road Not Taken of its most beloved meaning. Hehe. I told him my audience is too intelligent to actually read the poem and think it's saying what people think it's saying. :) As far as poetry goes, it's pretty straight-forward!

For the benefit of the weirdos on wikipedia (Matt wikipedia-ed the poem to see if Robert Frost ever had a good laugh over it. We enjoyed his quote: "You have to be careful with that one. It's tricky. Hehehehehehehe. VERY tricky. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" [implied laughter added] :)), here's a simpler version for wiki-people minds:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
(Creating a perfect metaphor for life)
And sorry I could not travel both
Since, of course, I'm just one man
I considered my options for a long time
And looked down the one as far as I could to try to see what it was like

Then ended up taking the other one, which was just as good
And maybe, I thought, was maybe a better choice...?
Because its grass wasn't tromped on yet!
Although, truth be told, as for that...
(That is, as for how many people had already traveled on these roads)
Both the paths were really about the same

And both of them that morning were equally
Covered in leaves that no steps had tromped on
(Neither was less traveled...! Oh, how to choose?!)
Oh! The pain! I kept the first for another day!
Another day. Yes.
Oh, who was I kidding.
Knowing how one path leads to another...
I knew I'd probably never come back for that first path. Sigh.

This will always make me a little sad. And make me wonder. And make me sigh.
I can foresee that years from now, I'll change up the story to make myself feel good.
The myth will go something like this:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by!
And that has made all the difference.

Ok, that version stinks. Hehe. But wikipedia people, I daresay the "literal interpretation" is, you know, what the poem actually says. (It's not a toughie.) As for an "ironic interpretation," the common interpretation is, itself, the irony! He said it himself: Frost is a trickster! Hahahaha!!

I said it before, I'll say it again. What a GREAT poem. :)

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, now that I think about it I think we read this in high school and my teacher focused on the inspirational interpretation (she was more interested in finding ways to inspire us and get us to be individuals than anything else). I don't honestly remember whether I agreed or disagreed at the time, but I can be pretty sure I just wrote the paper I knew would get an A.... Sometimes that meant agreeing with the teacher and sometimes it meant disagreeing, but my point was in getting the A whichever way it took. And that has made all the difference. :)

Auburn said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That really made me laugh. I feel a new poem coming on...!

Auburn said...

Two roads diverged in an AP class
And knowing one was right
But the other was an A
I took the road most traveled

But laughed within
As well I knew
The joke was on the rest!

Auburn said...

Hehe. Also, that teacher should have been fired immediately! I'm not kidding. An English teacher reading such a straight-forward, EASY(!!!) poem and getting a near inverse meaning because of some memory of an inspirational poster or something.... Unfathomable. Hehe. But, really.... ;) Unfathomable. :)

What would she do with a difficult piece of writing? I'd hate to know what she thought of E.E. Cummings.... Haha! No, I'd love to know! Ahhh.... To be in high school again.... :)

Rebecca said...

Tee hee. Excellent poem, Auburn, excellent. Too true.

Yah, I can't say I remember precisely her opinion on E.E. Cummings. Mostly I remember she liked us to have discussions that would get us to bare our souls to the class, and to try and make us "realize" how our family's expectations was influencing us and we needed to "find our own paths" and all that. This was the same teacher who made comments about how some of us (meaning me) didn't share with the rest and that wasn't being fair to everyone else to keep our thoughts to ourselves....

If I had high school to do over again, I would skip a lot more class. But let's not tell Paela that.

Auburn said...

Hahaha! Oh my. Maybe it's an English teacher thing! Mine would come to school all hungover, chugging coffee behind her sunglasses, moaning about the noise. When she wasn't hungover, she was complaining about men (and the AP test that year turned out to be TOTALLY feminist! Hahaha! Maybe she was just clairvoyant...).

There's this funny survey going around on facebook about high school. Every single friend of mine has said she was their favorite teacher.... Every one! I really don't get it. (I'd actually even forgotten her name until everyone and their dog was putting her on their survey. She really wasn't that memorable. Other than being the only teacher I ever had who was regularly hungover.)

I can't believe you wouldn't share your deepest feelings with your English class.... Hehehe. And you got an A? :) :) :)