Thursday, November 10

Beauty: Part Three

Years ago, I read something in an article that amused me so much I've never forgotten it:

"We all know that celebrities are just like the rest of us. Except rich enough to be better looking...."

Hahaha!!

It's so true, though. It's interesting how someone can sell themselves as "hot," or pretty, or handsome, just by dressing the part. But if you actually look at their face.... Totally ordinary. Or maybe even a little strange. Crooked nose? Huge jaw? Everyone has something....! (Almost everyone. ;-))

So, on the opposite side of the spectrum from my previous post, when I enjoyed imagining a world where everyone is willing to just look like their natural ol' selves, there's this great curiosity I've had in what a makeover genius would do to me.

I'm pretty sure there are some amazing-looking people out there who aren't actually any more attractive than I am, and that the same is true of anyone. You see these makeover shows and watch someone who even appears very unattractive suddenly, wow! Pop! And you realize: that skin just needed the right color of hair, and that hair just needed the right conditioner, and that face just needed the right shirt and the right haircut...!

Because people are all beautiful! They really are.

And what would a master eye see for me...?

What would a master colorist do to my hair? Go lighter? Go darker? Go redder? Keep it exactly the same?

What would a master sylist do to my hair? If it would take longer than 10 minutes, they would have to just take my picture for fun and say good-bye to the perfect hairstyle they tried to give me. Haha! (I couldn't stand to waste my day on primping! Been there, done that, but I'm not an insecure teenager anymore. :)) But what would it be? And what would the perfect 10-minute hairstyle be? Could I go even shorter? Would they make me poofier? Sleeker?

What would my perfect outfit be? My perfect shoe? My perfect color palette?

What do I not know I don't know...?

How would I look on Oscar night if I, like a celebrity, were rich enough to be better-looking than my fellow man? (Haha!)

How would Matt look? How would my other family members and friends look? Would we look like ourselves still...? Or would it be a thoroughly unrecognizable crew?

As for the master makeup artist.... I'm not sure they exist. (I always hate the makeup on a makeover. Ick.) But the pioneer of very natural-looking, genius makeup would be interesting to consult!

And as for the plastic surgeon.... Oh please....

6 comments:

Ellie said...

Great post! I'm right there with you on the 10 minute hairstyle time limit!

Janelle said...

with your short hair, you remind me of Mandy Moore. I LOVE the short hair on you! Really fits you. If I could style you- I would give you an Anthropologie look, but a little less grungy and a little more refined. But the same type of look. Earth tones. Tons of them. Those are great colors for you. Natural fibers. Quality, classic pieces you mix in and out of outfits and re-wear year after year (like a great chunky cashmere cable knit sweater- you could in theory have that for years and years and have it look on trend every time). You are really pretty (and honestly, thats one reason your pixie cut works!)- so not a lot of makeup. Im thinking a lash tint. Tinted Moisturizer (I like and use the laura Mercier kind), maybe a translucent powder if you felt you needed it. A slightly tinted lipgloss. Thats it! You would also ROCK some really cute glasses frames. I like smooth and messy pixie cuts- so take your pick. Both would look great. I see you with a large leather bag with a little bit of hardware. Over the shoulder, but not a tote- one that sits closer to your armpit. A pair of dark wash skinny jeans with dark brown flat riding boots. A flowey top or basic T with a thin long sleeved sweater that hangs at tunic length- worn open and with the sleeves pushed up to mid forearm. That would be totally cute on you!

Auburn said...

Nice, Janelle! A whole vision for me! I've been planning for over a year to have a big shopping spree for my birthday. I figured I'd probably be done nursing by then (although, that's still going so well, I don't know anymore...) and have a stable body shape, and I should reward myself after two+ years of giving my body to this little girl with a brand-new wardrobe that actually FITS! (Ahhh.... I can't imagine...! Clothes that FIT!) Matt is supposed to schedule himself some extra moonlighting shifts to pay for this. ;-) Looks like I should take you along! Pick this all out for me! (Or maybe someone should nominate me for What Not To Wear. I promise to look even grungier than normal so they get good stealth footage of me. ;-))

Auburn said...

I loved that when I read your comment, I was wearing a t-shirt with an open long-sleeved sweater over skinny jeans. And my glasses. Haha! I was fulfilling *part* of your vision! :-)

A chunky cashmere cable knit sweater would rock my world. Like I said.... I'm prepared to spend some money on clothes for once.... (Matt? Scheduled those moonlighter shifts yet...? ;-))

maxfamclan said...

I love your post! It may make an appearance in a future YW lesson. It is true. Although I am a sucker for any kind of fun clothes shopping, any time. Thank goodness I have 3 girls! ;)Unless your Mark, then he's not so excited some days. And you are right, people are beautiful! It's just some days we have more time to show it then others.

Janelle said...

see- its a totally authentic vision! with clothes that fit! haha!