One of our more intentional goals as parents has been to help our kid not be afraid.
We might be too good at this.
(Hahahahaha!!!)
So, a few weeks ago, Seth was out playing the backyard when all of a sudden, he comes crashing through the bathroom door (I was getting ready for the day) and announces: "Mom!! You've GOT to see! I found a cockroach!!"
And he runs back out.
I go back to my mascara, thinking...great. A stinking cockroach. (And around here, that means the BIG outdoor buggers.... Not those little gross guys in the kitchen. The BIG dudes.)
Five minutes later he bursts through again! "Mom!! I'm building a house for him, mom! It's a GREAT house. It's just for the cockroach!"
So now my son builds cockroach habitats...!
When I got outside, the cockroach was on his back in a pool of water, and Seth was trying to feed it an ant. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Even better, there were a bunch of goldfish crackers strewn around. I guess when the cockroach failed to be interested in cheese crackers, Seth got a little more practical. An ant. Perfect.
"I poured him some water so he could have a drink...." Ohhh. Ok. What a great plan! (I'm thinking of the legs-up result. Most excellent!) Then Seth tells me something about how the cockroach was soooo happy to have a great house and food and water that he did a little dance and flipped onto his back and wiggled his legs. "Like this, Mom...."
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
[The next day, the water had evaporated and there were still a few dead ants laying next to the dead cockroach, laying next to the cockroach house Seth built from sticks, with goldfish crackers all around. What a funny cockroach grave.... Seth said, so matter-of-factly: "Welllllll. I think he must be dead." Not a little dance after all....]
3 comments:
Hahahaha!
That's awesome! You guys must be doing a great job with the lessons in fearlessness. And I'm impressed that you still manage to put on make up in the mornings while juggling a newborn and another kiddo to boot. I usually don't even get around to showering and changing out of my gym clothes until after lunch time!
That is awesome! Haha!
Post a Comment